What does testosterone do for your physique and beyond?
First of all, what is testosterone?
Testosterone is a hormone.
A hormone is a chemical messenger between cells of our body.
Hormone: A chemical substance produced in the body that controls and regulates the activity of certain cells or organs. Hormones are essential for every activity of life, including the processes of digestion, metabolism, growth, reproduction, and mood control. Many hormones, such as neurotransmitters, are active in more than one physical process.1)http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=3783
If you are a man, what does testosterone do for you? Testosterone gives you the characteristics of a man, testosterone is the hormone that makes you male.
Testosterone is mostly produced in the testicles. Read the benefits of testosterone over and over again and if you are a man or know a man that you care about, make sure that they are educated as well about the critical importance of testosterone to their health. Every benefit of testosterone is something that every man wants more of, not less, so please read carefully, short post but so important.
Women do have small amounts of testosterone but that is beyond the scope of this brief post.
Specifically, what does testosterone do for men?
- Sex Drive
- Strong Erections
- Mood Stability
- Clear Thinking
- Strength, Optimistic Outlook, Calm Disposition
- Increase Muscle Mass and Strength
- More Body Hair
- Clear Skin Tone
- Strong Bone Density
- Decrease of Belly Fat
Basically, every man should want more testosterone, just look at the benefits of normal testosterone levels, strength, solid erections, rock solid emotions, more muscle, more hair, less belly fat. Isn’t that what every man (and woman) wants (in her man?).
Conversely, look at the terrible consequences of not having enough testosterone:
- Lower desire for sex
- Diminished erectile quality, particularly for nighttime erections
- Changes in mood
- Reduced intellectual and cognitive powers
- Fatigue, depression and anger
- Decrease in muscle mass and strength
- Less body hair
- Skin alterations
- Decreased bone mass/mineral density
- Increase in abdominal fat mass. (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276013.php)
Now that you know what testosterone does for you, how do you ensure that you have enough?
Even worse, if you have low testosterone, how can you increase your testosterone naturally?
1. Sleep! Pretty simple but often neglected. Sleep is the easiest way to increase your testosterone levels. The longer the better and the more refreshed you are going to feel.
2. Lose your excess fat. That will decrease your estrogen levels and increase testosterone. To lose your fat, focus on eating vegetables like Broccoli, which I referred to in the benefits of broccoli , hearty legumes like black beans, lentils and chick peas and lean proteins. Keep it lean and green. Avoid if not completely eliminate fruit juices, soda, junk food, bread, milk products.
4. Get enough zinc in your diet. Pumpkin seeds and beans are a good source.
5. Get enough vitamin D, get out in the sun every day or take a supplement.
What does testosterone do for you?
Better sex, better mood, lean and strong, so, Alot!
So all you have to do is just the simple changes that we speak about:
A good night sleep
Spend some time outdoors.
Limit if not eliminate high glycemic index, glycemic load, sugar flooding foods which can be easily identified:
Liquid calories like juice, soda.
Junk food, candy, cake.
Highly processed foods.
Focus on vegetables, and for increased testosterone, especially cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.
Focus on beans like black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans and lentils as is wonderfully explained by Tim Ferris in the 4 hour body.
Focus on lean proteins like eggs, tuna, turkey and chicken.
Keep it lean and green.
References [ + ]