Lower Body Workout – Hashi Mashi Journal
Today was a lower body workout at 7 am.
I was not feeling so into it when I woke up, but as usual, pushing myself to be consistent definitely helps.
As a result, by the time I finished a few sets of leg curls and squats, I was feeling a lot better and hit my squat high today of 125lbs for 5 repetitions.
I need to fill in the lower body workout table from the beginning of time, at least my time as a beginner of strength training at the ripe young age of 55, because I find it amazing how the body can respond to training in a positive way.
The first time that I did any squats, I could not even do one squat without any weight and I think that was just from having no flexibility at all and having not done anything physically similar to a squat in so many years.
Who would know that a simple move like the squat could have such an impact on your body?
Since that time I have been working my way up slowly and many times I have fallen off the weight training wagon and had to start all over again from ground zero doing air squats (squats without any weights) and then starting again to add weight on to my squat each week.
Today is a milestone because it is the first time in two years of on and off again squatting that I have been able to do 5 repetitions of 125lbs.
And that is all that I want to accomplish, make the progress that I am capable of.
I am going to post a video of my deadlift form at some point and ask you all for your tips, thanks!
I felt that I would rather build up slowly with 5 repetitions than pushing myself to lift heavier and heavier weight for only one repetition.
The reason is that two days ago and today I felt a twinge in my lower left abdomen when I lifted my one rep max weight and I remembered that I had a hernia back when I was about 14 and suddenly I was like, oh no, what am I doing, I have to walk the talk and lift more gradually.
So, I started with 135lbs for a warm-up and went up to 145lbs of 5 repetitions.
Then I made the mistake of increasing for one rep maxes of 155lbs, 165lbs, 175lbs, and 180lbs and it was at 175lbs that I felt the first twinge.
So as of this writing, I still feel a bit but I hope that it will not turn more serious!
How About You?
How was your workout today?
Did you do a lower body or upper body workout or both?
Do you do deadlifts and how do you prevent from getting a hernia?
I think the answer to that is to lift light and move up in weight gradually!
If you are new to squats and deadlifts, try this Beginner Squat and Deadlift Workout Routines for Powerlifting and Fitness.
You will also find this 3×5 Workout Plan helpful because it is the only strength training program you will ever need.
And don’t neglect learning as much as you can from the related posts below.
Lift safe and smart!
- Squats for Weight Loss and Body Transformation
- 20 Greatest Benefits of Squats; The King of Free Weight Strength Training
- How to Do Squats Properly With Or Without Weights
- The Top 10 Squat Assistance Exercises for a Bigger, Better Squat
- Overhead Squat Assessment Muscles Mnemonic for the NASM CPT Exam
- Can You Squat and Deadlift on the Same Day or Not?
- 15 Big Bulgarian Split Squat Benefits Unlock Your Fitness
- 7 Powerful Squats Muscles Worked Will Improve Your Life
- 5 Best Shoes for Squats and Deadlifts on the Market Today in 2020
- Saquon Barkley Squat: Secrets of the Most Electrifying NFL Runner
- Top 10 Ways To Avoid Knee Pain After Squats
- Proper Way to Do Squats; 26 Secrets for the Perfect Squat
On Pushups / Bench Press
- Great Bench Press Benefits, Muscles Worked, Variations + How-To
- The Best Dumbbell Chest Workout at Home; No Bench Needed
- What Muscles Do Push-Ups Work?
- 100 Pushups a day: 30 Things that Will Make You Fit
- The Powerful Benefits of Push-Ups for Body Transformation
- 100 Pushup Challenge: How to Easily Do 36,500 Push Ups in 2020
- 20 Amazing Shaquem Griffin Bench Press Reps Will Blow Your Mind
- How to Deadlift for Beginners – A Step by Step Guide
- 7 Most Important Deadlift Muscles Worked To Change Your Life
- 27 Sensational Ways How Deadlifts Change Your Body
- 5 Best Deadlift Bars on The Market Today in 2020
- Why Sumo Deadlift: Form, Muscles Worked, Benefits + How-To
- 12 Week Deadlift Program for Beginners in Fitness or Powerlifting
- 5 Best Deadlift Shoes On The Market Today In 2020
- 50 Essential Deadlift Tips and Tricks Every Beginner Should Know
- 5 Best Deadlift Shin Guards on the Market Today in 2020
- 12 Best Assistance Exercises that Will Improve Your Deadlift
- What Muscles Does a Hex Bar Deadlift Work?
- 15 Ways How to Protect Your Shins When Deadlifting
- 37 Remarkable Benefits of Deadlifts to Unleash Your Fitness Fast
- 15 Safe Deadlift Alternatives that Will Protect a Bad Back
- 5 Best Deadlift Shoes to Get the Most out of Every Single Rep