How many calories are burned deadlifting in one workout?
The deadlift is an ultra-powerful way to transform your body from fat to fit. And to increase your overall body strength. You target the major muscle groups of your entire body with the deadlift. Even without knowing how many calories you burn doing the deadlift.
Nevertheless, to calculate the number of calories you burn, use the following 3 simple steps.
Note that this article is for informational purposes only and not for medical advice.
3 Simple Steps to Calculate Calories Burned Deadlifting
1. MET – Metabolic Equivalent of a Task
The first step to calculate how many calories you burn with any physical activity is to know the METs. The Metabolic Equivalent of a Task (METs) will tell you how many calories you burn per hour of activity per one kilogram of body weight.
According to the Compendium of Physical Activities, the MET for strength training exercises such as powerlifting, weight lifting, and bodybuilding with vigorous effort is 6.0.
The METs of squats, bench press and deadlifting are all 6.0. Remember that number.
|1993 Compendium||2000 Compendium||2011 Compendium||Conditioning Exercise|
|02050||6.0||02050||6.0||02050||6.0||resistance training (weight lifting – free weights, nautilus or universal-type), power lifting, which includes the squat, bench press and the deadlift, body building, vigorous effort (Taylor Code 210|
2. Determine your Weight in Kilograms
The second step to calculate how many calories you burn deadlifting is to find your weight in kilograms. All you need to do is divide your weight in pounds by 2.2.
If you weigh 195.7 pounds, the average weight of a man in the US ¹, divide this number by 2.2, which leaves you with 88.95 kilograms. Once you know your weight in kilograms, now you can move to the formula in the next step.
- Smart app syncs with fitness apps. Over 3 million happy global users. Easy setup app syncs with Samsung Health, Fitbit, Apple...
- 13 essential measurements. Bodyweight shows on the scale. Other 12 data like body fat percentage, BMI, skeletal muscle, etc...
- User-friendly app. Download RENPHO app at app store or google play. RENPHO App works with Bluetooth 4.0 And above.
- High Quality Product. Auto calibration, high precision sensors measure in increments of 0.2 lb, 0.05 kg with 396lbs, 180kg...
- Monitor your progress. RENPHO connects with the apps to help you set goals, save historical data and track your daily,...
3. Use the METs Formula to Measure Calories Burned Deadlifting
The METs formula is:
- Calories burned during deadlifting (or any other physical activity) = METs x weight in kg x time in hours.
If you do not work out for an hour, then express this number as .5 for 30 minutes or .25 for a 15-minute workout.
A proper deadlift workout with at least some warm-up will take at least 15 minutes, if not 30 minutes. If you do a full powerlifting workout of squats, bench press, and deadlift, you can expect to spend at least one hour. Using our example of a 180 pound (81.8kg) individual, we can plug in our numbers to the formula.
- Calories burned = METs of 6.0 for powerlifting x 88.95kg x time (1 hour or .5 for 30 minutes or .25 for 15 minutes)
- 6.0 x 88.95 x 1 = 533.7 calories burned deadlifting (assuming an hour long powerlifting workout).
- If you did a deadlift workout in 30 minutes, then your formula would be 6.0 x 88.95 x .5 = 266.85 calories burned deadlifting.
Weightlifting vs cardio, which burns the most calories?
4. A Sample 500 Calorie Burning Deadlift Workout
You burn more than 500 calories with a one-hour deadlifting workout. Of course, this depends on your weight (see the formula above. Besides, the calories burned deadlifting, you also have to consider the muscle-building value of full-body exercises.
Anyone who has done a full powerlifting workout knows how intense it is. For example, imagine that you start with squats:
Sample Squat Workout
- 55 pounds x 10 squats to warm up.
- 100 x 5 to warm up.
- 120 x 8 x 3 sets for your squat workout.
- 130 x 5 box squats.
- 135 x 5 box squats.
- Note: a box squat is useful to help you build strength for the upper portion of your squat.
In the above squat workout pattern, you should rest 3 to 5 minutes between sets to regain your energy. After squats, since you warmed up your legs, it is a good idea to move to the deadlift.
Sample Deadlift Workout
- 145 pounds x 5 deadlifts to warm up
- 175 x 3 to warm up
- 195 x 8 x 2 sets for your deadlift workout
Your rest in between deadlift sets is also in the 3 to 5-minute range. By this point in your deadlift workout, your legs will feel like jello. For all these sample workouts, plug in your own numbers, whether they are less or more.
The point is not how much you lift, but that you squat, deadlift and bench press with the best form possible. After squats and deadlifts, you end your powerlifting workout with the bench press.
- ULTIMATE SHIN PROTECTION: Built of strong durable 5mm Neoprene material, providing protection for deadlifts, rope climbs,...
- SAVE TIME - QUICK WEAR AND REMOVE: Takes only a few seconds to wear and remove. No need to take off your shoes
- USE ONLY WHEN NEEDED - DURING WORKOUT: Optimize your workout by quickly wearing our shin guards only for specific exercises...
- VERSATILE AND STYLISH DESIGN: Can be worn all year round, directly on skin or on top of socks, training pants and tights
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST: The shin guards are 11.8 inches (30cm) long from top to bottom with adjustable straps fit 13-19 inches...
Sample Bench Press Workout
- 55 lbs x 12 bench presses to warm up.
- 125 x 6 to warm up.
- 135 x 2 to warm up.
- 155 x 8 for your bench press workout.
- If you are strong enough to increase the weight, do so.
- 160 x 8 to finish the main bench press workout.
A nice touch at the end of your bench press workout is to do 3-second pause bench presses.
A 3-second bench press pause helps you get stronger to explode the weight off of your chest.
In the 3 second pause, you lower the weight to your chest, leave it on your chest for 3 seconds and then press.
- 145 x 5 bench presses with a 3-second pause on your chest.
- 140 x 5 with a 3-second pause on your chest.
You might have to lower the weight as in the above example at this point in your bench press workout.
Just try the above powerlifting workout yourself and see. Remember to take a deep breath and hold before and while the weight lowers to your chest. Otherwise, you might not be stable and strong enough to push the weight off your chest.
Also, never do 3-second pauses without a spotter.
5. Number of Calories Burned Deadlifting is Not Critical
Do you need to track the number of calories burned deadlifting for weight loss? The answer is no, you do not need to know how many calories you eat or burn for body transformation. That might sound like heresy in our calorie counting culture, but it is the truth.
You do not need a calorie calculator to get fit.
Yes, counting calories is a good start when you have no clue why you are fat, even if you think you do not eat that much. And counting calories comes into play if you are working to add weight as muscle mass. For example, if you are preparing for powerlifting, wrestling or athletic competition which uses a weight class.
But the secret to body transformation is not just about calculating calories. The key is the consistency of your meals, the quality food that you eat, learning great form and sticking to your strength training workouts.
- Mark Rippetoe (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 347 Pages - 11/11/2011 (Publication Date) - The Aasgaard Company (Publisher)
If you want to lose weight and get fit, then you need a plan. Every significant goal starts with a plan.
Deadlifting is a tremendous asset when you want to get leaner and stronger, and even rebuild your life.
Deadlifts may not burn as many calories per hour as running, but deadlifting, as well as all intense compound strength training have a significant long-term effect on the number of calories burned.
Because deadlifts, squats, bench press, and other resistance exercises increase your lean muscle tissue.
When you build more lean muscle tissue, you increase your metabolism which translates to more calories burned, even when you are not in the gym.
The following video will increase your understanding of why deadlifting will build more muscle and burn more fat than traditional cardio.
Which is the best way to burn fat? Weight training or Cardio?
You now know how to calculate the number of calories that you burn deadlifting. As well as the calories burned in any other physical activity that has a Metabolic Equivalent Task (METs).
You also have a simple deadlift workout routine that will take you at least an hour, if not more. This will enable you to burn up to 500 calories in an hour. Use this beginner deadlift routine as part of your 12-week beginner deadlift program.
The number of calories burned depends on your weight, the time spent strength training, and the intensity.
While you learned that the METs of deadlifting is 6.0, the METs of circuit training are 8.0.
All you have to do is reduce your rest time between sets to up the intensity.
Use this knowledge of the calories burned deadlifting to motivate yourself to plan and stick to your deadlift workouts, week in and week out.
This is how you will see results in building your overall strength and fitness.
You now know that the deadlift burns a ton of calories. From here, the next step is to use this guide to lose 20 lbs in 3 months, because getting lean is not only about counting calories. Then, discover:
- 7 Major Muscle Groups by the Deadlift That Will Change Your Body and Life, and
- How to Deadlift Like a Boss In 5 Simple Steps, plus
- One Great Beginner Deadlift Workout Routine for Powerlifting and Fitness
to get you started on an excellent deadlift program.
Keep the conversation going, did you improve your fitness without knowing the calories burned deadlifting?
- Calculate Calories Burned Doing Squats in 3 Easy Steps
- 11 Best Steph Curry Deadlift and Training Secrets
- How Many Calories Burned Jumping Jacks 5 Minutes a Day
- 9 Hex Bar Deadlift Benefits to Get Fit Without Barbell Deadlifts
- Average Calories Burned Calculator for Walking 30 Minutes
- Think You're too Old to Deadlift? Watch this 81 Year Old Grandmother Deadlifting
- 11 Inspiring Facts Every Lamar Gant Deadlift Fan Should Know
- 5 Allyson Felix Deadlift Workout Plan Results
- Hugh Jackman’s Deadlift Workout to Get Ripped For the ‘Wolverine’
- Total Calories Burned Weightlifting for 30 Minutes
Pin the Image Below to Share How Many Calories are Burned Deadlifting in One Workout.
Related Infographic by: hashimashi.com
Share This Infographic On Your Site
This is why you burn so many calories deadlifting vs single joint exercises: