Best Protein Powder for Men Over 50 – Introduction
What is the best protein powder for men over 50 in 2022?
Most people understand that they need to follow a balanced diet to be healthy.
In this instance, diet doesn’t mean a short-term eating plan for weight loss, but what you eat long-term.
Think of this as Diet with a capital D!
But what does a balanced diet look like?
While this is somewhat debatable, most experts agree that a balanced diet needs:
- Carbohydrates to maintain your energy levels
- Protein for muscle growth and repair
- Healthy fats for energy and metabolic functions
- Fiber for digestion
- Essential vitamins and minerals, plus other micronutrients for health
- Water for hydration
While all of these substances are important, the macronutrient protein is often the hardest to obtain.
High-protein foods are often expensive, require cooking, and are least likely to be available as convenience foods.
As such, many people use protein supplements to ensure they’re getting enough of this critical macronutrient.
Interestingly, men tend to need more protein than women because the amount of protein you need to consume is dependent on your muscle mass.
Men, in general, have more muscle than women.
Also, as you get older, you tend to need more protein which your body can use to offset some of the effects of aging.
This all means that men over the age of 50 will often benefit from using a protein supplement.
This article explains why protein is so important and reveals some of the best protein powders for men over 50.
The Importance of Protein
While there are three macronutrient food groups – carbohydrate, fat, and protein – protein is arguably the most important.
In fact, the word protein comes from the Greek for first or primary: proteus, which is where we also get the word priority.
Protein contains compounds called amino acids.
Your body uses amino acids like a builder uses bricks.
Muscle repair and growth are a vital part of recovering after exercise but also happen even if you aren’t much of an exerciser.
That’s because your body is constantly breaking tissue down and renewing it.
For example, your skin cells are continually being replaced.
That said, the more active you are, the more protein you need.
That’s why the RDA (recommended daily allowance) for protein for sedentary people is just around 0.36 grams per pound of body weight, while people engaged in regular strength training often need as much as one gram per pound or about three times as much.
Protein and Men Over 50
So, exercisers need more protein and so too do men over 50.
Because, after the age of 30 or so, muscle mass tends to decline, and that decline happens faster if you don’t consume adequate protein.
The loss of muscle mass is called sarcopenia and is a natural part of the aging process.
It’s linked to decreases in testosterone levels and an increase in a sedentary lifestyle.
While sarcopenia is all-but unavoidable, it IS possible to decrease the rate of muscle loss.
If you want to remain as strong as possible for as long as possible, men over 50 should:
- Lift weights at least three times a week, focusing on compound exercises like:
- Consume adequate protein to encourage muscle repair and growth and minimize sarcopenia
Little old men are little old men for a reason – muscle loss.
So, if you want to remain active and live an independent life as you move into your 50s and beyond, you need to take your iron (lift weights!) and pump up your protein intake.
How much protein do you need?
Well, the one gram per pound of bodyweight that bodybuilders aim for is a good target for men over 50, too.
So, if you weigh 180lbs, you should try and consume 180 grams of protein per day.
Use a food tracker to ensure you’re getting all the protein you need.
Eating a Protein-Rich Diet
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of protein powders for men over 50, it’s essential to understand that most of your protein should come from real food.
Protein powder should be supplemental to and not a replacement for a balanced diet.
So, to that end, you need to try and consume protein at most of your main meals, that is, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Plus, when possible, try and snack on high-protein foods, too.
Examples of high protein foods include:
Whenever possible, choose unprocessed, lean, high-protein foods rather than fatty, processed foods.
For example, while luncheon meat does contain protein, it often contains nitrates and other potentially unhealthy ingredients.
In contrast, an organic chicken breast is free from additives and far healthier.
The Benefits of Protein Powder for Men Over 50
So, while most of your protein should come from “real” food, that’s not always practical or convenient.
For example, you may not have time to whip up a batch of bacon and eggs for breakfast, or you may have to eat lunch on the go, so you can’t sit down and enjoy a turkey salad.
Miss more than a protein-rich meal or two, and you could easily find yourself consuming far less than one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.
The good news is that protein powders make getting enough protein much easier.
Depending on the brand, a scoop of protein powder contains between 20-25 grams of protein per serving.
That’s the same as 4-5 eggs.
Because protein powders are a very concentrated source of complete protein, just 1-2 servings per day will ensure you have no problem hitting your daily protein requirements.
Other benefits of protein powder for men in their 50s include:
Protein powder can be mixed with water and ready to drink in just a few seconds.
Regardless of where or how busy you are, you should have no problem squeezing in a protein shake.
Low in calories
Because protein powders are very concentrated, they don’t contain much if any fat or carbohydrate.
As such, they’re ideal for anyone trying to lose weight.
For example, two eggs and one scoop of protein powder contain roughly the same number of calories (120), but where two eggs provide about 12 grams of protein, you’ll get closer to 25 grams from the protein powder.
Gram for gram, protein powders are usually cheaper than most high-protein foods.
For example, a serving of protein powder usually comes in at around a dollar, while foods like chicken, fish, and eggs are generally more expensive.
High-protein foods are invariably savory, like meat, fish, and eggs.
A lot of protein powders are sweet and include different flavors like chocolate, strawberry, salted caramel, birthday cake, and key lime pie.
They’re the ideal guilt-free sweet treat.
Also, you can use protein powders to make high-protein desserts and snacks, such as protein pudding and protein powder, as well as peanut butter energy balls.
There are lots of different types of protein powder available, so you should have no problem finding a suitable product.
Varieties include whey protein concentrate, casein, soy, hemp, pea protein, egg protein, and beef isolate.
Each one contains plenty of protein, but the way they’re made and the different protein sources mean that you may prefer to use one particular type.
For example, vegetarians and vegans who avoid animal products will want to use a plant-based protein, while those with lactose intolerance may prefer beef isolate.
The Best Protein Powder for Men Over 50 – Top 12 Picks
Now you are sold (hopefully!) on the need to consume more protein, let’s take a look at some of the best protein powders for men over 50.
#1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted quality
- Gold standard 100% whey blend – 24 grams blended protein consisting of whey...
- Over 5 grams of BCAAS help build lean and strong muscles with BCAAs. 3-4 grams...
- Any-time formula – Great before or after exercise, between meals, with a meal,...
- Most awarded, best-selling whey protein powder on the planet. Banned substance...
Optimum Nutrition (ON) makes some of the best-tasting protein powders around.
Their double-rich chocolate and chocolate peanut butter varieties are especially good.
This whey-based protein powder is also excellent value for money.
#2. MRM Nutrition Egg White Protein | Highest Biological Value | Clinically Tested
- DESIGNED FOR: Those elite and recreational athletes looking to support lean...
- HIGH BIOLOGICAL VALUE: Our Egg White protein contains 23g protein per serving....
- LEAN PROTEIN ONLY: In addition to being extremely high in protein, egg whites...
- PROMOTES GUT HEALTH: We added enzymes and probiotics to help balance the...
- RECOMMENDATIONS: Add 1 scoops per day to 12 oz water or your favorite beverage....
Eggs are one of the best high-protein foods, and egg whites are an incredibly concentrated source of protein.
This MRM Nutrition product tastes good and is virtually fat and cholesterol-free.
It’s also good for your digestive health.
#3. Garden of Life Organic Grass Fed Whey Powder Plus Probiotics
- HIGH PROTEIN: 21 grams of easy-to-digest, muscle-building protein in a delicious...
- POST WORKOUT RECOVERY: Help refuel and repair your muscles with a clean...
- PROTEIN POWDER WITH PROBIOTICS: Tasty, smooth protein shake with 2 billion CFU...
- PROTEIN POWDER: 120 calorie organic whey protein is produced from...
- ORGANIC: Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, California Grass Fed,...
Whey is made from milk, and healthier cows produce better milk.
Therefore, this Grass-Fed Organic Whey Powder is exceptionally pure and healthy.
Free from artificial additives, this is the ideal protein powder for men in their 50s who want an ethical, healthy nutritional supplement.
#4. Naked WHEY 5LB 100% Grass-Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder
- ONLY ONE INGREDIENT: 100% Grass Fed Pure Whey Protein with zero additives. Naked...
- ALL NATURAL WHEY: Our Grass Fed Whey is sourced from small dairy farms in...
- MAXIMUM NUTRITION: 25g of Protein, 2g of Sugar, 3g of Carbs, 120 Calories, and...
- COLD PROCESSED: Unlike most whey protein powders, Naked Whey is cold processed...
- THE PERFECT WORKOUT PARTNER: Create pre and post workout whey shakes, smoothies...
Naked is renowned for making some of the best supplements with no artificial ingredients.
This Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder is unflavored, so it’s completely free from any artificial sweeteners, colors, or additives of any kind.
It is a little bland but is ideal for mixing into smoothies.
#5. Legion Whey+ Vanilla Whey Isolate Protein Powder from Grass-Fed Cows
- THE CLEANEST AND PUREST FORM OF WHEY PROTEIN POWDER - WHEY+ is 100% whey protein...
- MADE WITH MILK FROM SMALL IRISH DAIRY FARMS - WHEY+ is made from exceptionally...
- NO ARTIFICIAL JUNK - WHEY+ is 100% naturally sweetened and flavored and contains...
- THE MAN BEHIND THE BRAND - Mike Mathews is an international bestselling fitness...
Legion Workout Supplements are popular with bodybuilders and CrossFitters, two groups that understand the importance of good protein powders.
It’s made with milk from grass-fed cows, contains no artificial ingredients, and tastes pretty good, too.
This Whey Isolate Powder is free from added sugars and an excellent choice for weight loss and gaining mass.
#6. Muscle Milk Gainer Protein Powder
- Contains one (1) 5 pound cannister (about 14 servings) of Muscle Milk Pro Series...
- HELPS SUPPORT MUSCLE RECOVERY AND MASS – Muscle Milk Pro Series Gainer...
- KEY FEATURES – Based on 1 serving, Muscle Milk Pro Series Gainer contains 32g...
- VERSATILE AND EASY-TO-MIX – Muscle Milk Pro Series Gainer dissolves easily in...
- SCIENCE BEHIND PROTEIN – Provides a blend of high-quality slow releasing and...
While many protein powders are pure protein and therefore low in calories, this product from Muscle Milk contains carbs and healthy fats to deliver more calories per serving.
#7. MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Ripped | Protein Powder for Weight Loss
- PROTEIN POWDER for WEIGHT LOSS – MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Ripped is the ultimate...
- LEAN MUSCLE BUILDER – Each scoop contains 30g of ultra-clean protein from whey...
- SCIENTIFICALLY TESTED WEIGHT LOSS – Features the key ingredient C. canephora...
- TASTES GREAT & MIXES EASILY – Nitro-Tech Ripped doesn’t pack the extra sugar...
- DAILY WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS – Mix 1 scoop with 8 oz of cold water or milk...
This Whey Isolate Protein Powder from MuscleTech is almost pure protein, making it very low in calories.
It also contains C. canephora robusta, or green coffee bean extract, a proven fat burner.
#8. Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
- Includes 1 (2.03 pound) orgain organic plant based vanilla bean protein powder
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 2 grams...
- USDA organic, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, low net carbs, no...
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick...
- Ideal for healthy, on the go nutrition for men, women, and kids. These are great...
While whey and other milk proteins are very good, not everyone likes or wants to use them.
For example, milk-based proteins contain lactose, and vegetarians and vegans can’t use them.
This Plant-Based Protein Powder from Orgain is made from pea, brown rice, and chia seeds, so it’s not only vegetarian and vegan diet friendly, but it’s also a valuable source of fiber.
#9. Sprout Living, Epic Protein, Plant-Based Protein & Superfoods Powder
- DELICIOUS SUPERFOOD PROTEIN - Creamy and smooth textured protein with a...
- COMPLETE PLANT PROTEIN - 19 grams per serving of complete vegan protein from...
- NUTRIENT-DENSE WHOLE FOODS - Organic, multi-source plant protein made from 100%...
- PURE, ULTRA-CLEAN and 3RD PARTY TESTED - No artificial or “natural”...
- JUMPSTART YOUR DAY - Perfect addition to your morning smoothie or as an extra...
Protein is not the only nutrient men over 50 need in abundance; they also need fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Sprout Living Epic Protein contains all these things, making it one of the best all-around protein powders for men in their 50s.
#10. Nutiva Organic Plant Protein Smoothie
- Delicious source of plant protein, amino acids, vitamins, and probiotics for...
- Ideal addition to vegetarian, vegan, whole food, soy-free, dairy-free and...
- Makes a delicious and creamy meal replacement, can be used for clean on-the-go...
- Nutiva stringently adheres to USDA guidelines and partners with certified...
- At Nutiva, our products are packaged in safe, convenient, BPA-free recyclable...
A lot of protein powders contain artificial additives.
These ingredients are generally regarded as safe, but some people still prefer to avoid them.
This Plant-Based Protein Powder from Nutiva is organic, keto, and paleo-friendly, plus suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
It’s also free from artificial ingredients.
#11. Isagenix IsaLean Protein Shakes – Complete Superfood Meal Replacement
- Nutritious Shake: Isagenix IsaLean Shake is a delicious, convenient, and...
- Make It a Meal: It contains active enzymes to help ease digestion. Isagenix...
- Achieve Goals: High-quality undenatured protein supports lean muscle growth....
- Stay Active: IsaLean Chocolate Shake is a convenient meal replacement with 23...
- 100 Percent Satisfaction Guarantee: Great value for your money. If you are not...
Isagenix IsaLean Shake is more than just a protein powder.
Instead, it’s designed to be a low-calorie meal in a glass!
It contains slow-releasing low-glycemic carbs, fiber, essential vitamins, minerals, and superfoods to keep you feeling fuller for longer, improve your overall health, and preserve your muscle mass.
See my Isagenix 9 Day Cleanse Review to jumpstart your fat loss.
#12. SFH PURE Whey Protein Powder Vanilla 2lb Bag
- CLEAN GRASS-FED WHEY PROTEIN: SFH PURE Whey Protein is a highly bioavailable...
- YEAR ROUND GRASS FED COWS: We set ourselves apart by sourcing from year round...
- TRUST WHAT’S IN THE BAG: With no proprietary blends or long lists of other...
- STRONGER, FASTER, HEALTHIER: Our proteins mix and taste great with water or your...
- INCREDIBLE TASTE: Protein powder has never tasted so good! Mixing it in a...
SFH PURE Whey Protein Powder lives up to its name!
Made from organic, grass-fed milk, it contains no artificial ingredients and is free from fat and carbs.
It’s a very concentrated source of protein, and a little goes a long way.
The natural flavors aren’t the strongest, but this SFH PURE supplement still tastes pretty good.
Best Protein Powder for Men Over 50 – Wrapping Up
A lot of men in their 50s are starting to slack off on their workouts and let nature take its course.
As such, they start losing muscle and gaining fat at an alarming rate.
Losing even a small amount of muscle will result in less strength, less endurance, and will make everyday chores feel harder than they need to be.
Lifting weights and consuming more protein can delay muscle loss and, if you are new to exercise, could even result in increases in muscle mass.
There is no need to surrender to the aging process without a fight!
Lift weights and use any one of these excellent protein powders for men over 50 to maintain your muscle mass and preserve your strength and vitality.
While you now have many protein powder options listed above to supplement your protein intake, you still must focus on:
- a) getting the optimal nutrition from real food, and
- b) a tried and proven workout to get leaner and stronger
To that end, see Clean Eating vs Keto Diet: The Differences + Which is Better plus Just Eat Real Food; The Secret Sauce for Weight Loss for more information and motivation.
Also, check out any of the following workouts for building muscle and burning fat:
- Strength Training for Men Over 50 + Full-Body Workout
- 3×5 Workout: The Only Strength Training Program You’ll Ever Need
- 5/3/1 for Beginners; Jim Wendler’ Classic Strength Program
- Beginner Powerbuilding Program: Big & Strong Workout + Free PDF
- 5×5 Workout for Over 50; The Pros and Cons You Need to Know
- Powerlifting Over 50: Benefits + Best Routine to Get Started
- Building Muscle Over 50: The Ultimate Guide for Men
- The 8 Best Bodybuilding Supplements for Men Over 50 In 2022
- The 10 Best Strength Training Books for Beginners in 2022
- Phraks Greyskull LP Variant vs. Starting Strength vs. GSLP
- Best Deadlift Equipment: Home Gym Guide; Start Lifting Weights Today!
- 5 Best Deadlift Shin Guards on the Market in 2022
- 7 Best Knee Sleeves for Squats on the Market Today in 2022