The incredible benefits of deadlifts will get you into shape — fast. Why? Because the deadlift targets the major muscles of your entire body. This is how the mighty deadlift rebuilds your mind, body, and life. Bottom line, deadlifts are one of the most powerful compound exercises to transform your mental and physical fitness.
The life-changing benefits of deadlifts helped me go from fat to fit in under a year. I couldn’t believe how simple it was. And neither will you. I thought the deadlift was only for bodybuilders or powerlifters. I was wrong.
Best of all, my results are not special.
Even if you are over the age of 50, you are never too old to gain from the rewards of deadlifting. The many benefits of deadlifts will keep you lean, strong and functional.
1. Achieve Total Body Transformation
If you want real body transformation results, look no further than the deadlift. You can get fantastic before and after deadlift results with a consistent 30 minute workout 2 – 3 times a week. Start with a light weight. Warm up with a few sets at 50% – 75% of your one rep max.
For example, if you estimate your 1 rep max is around 200 pounds, then warm up with a couple of sets of 100 pounds which is 50% of your one rep max. Then, do 3 more sets of 8 repetitions with 150 pounds.
This workout will not take you more than 30 minutes. Gradually increase the weight you lift every workout, every week or every month, depending on your strength level.
2. Deadlift Benefits are for Females Too
Video Credit: HangTightWMarcie Video ‘Female Deadlifts 235 pounds’
Here is an excellent post about the main benefits of deadlifts for females: http://fitgirlsdiary.com/deadlift-a-must-do-exercise-for-women-how-to-do-it-right/ You can learn more about Marcie’s personal training videos and services here.
3. A Life Saving Benefit of Deadlifts for Males — Increase Your Testosterone
Men who have any interest in their health and sex life should start a deadlift program. As we age, our testosterone decreases, as well as our interest in sex, and the ability to perform. Living a longer life also becomes more difficult.
- Testosterone enables your body to build denser bones and prevent osteoporosis.
- Testosterone helps you build muscle mass.
- More muscle growth helps you prevent diabetes, which is critical for good health.
- Testosterone helps you prevent impotence.
- An active sex life is healthy and helps to prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Higher testosterone levels are important for weight control, energy, confidence, and ambition.
- Testosterone stimulates the male organs to develop and is what makes a man, a man.
- Weight lifting has a bigger effect on testosterone than almost any other exercise.
- A man must keep his testosterone levels in the normal range because of its importance to male health.
- The more muscles that you use, the bigger the impact that your workout will have on testosterone.
- Testosterone is beneficial to your body, your mental health and your spirit.
Improving your testosterone levels will have a positive impact on your health. Stop squeezing hand grips and start doing deadlifts.
A Testosterone Boosting Testimonial
Before I started to deadlift, my testosterone was not in the normal range. Low T or low testosterone is common for men over 50. My doctor recommended that I begin testosterone replacement therapy immediately.
I cut out processed food, ate 4 real meals a day, and walked 30 minutes a day.
When I lost enough weight and could bend down easier, I started to deadlift. I also started to squat, do pushups and began walking or using an elliptical 30 to 60 minutes daily. Ten months later my testosterone had doubled and was in normal range.
My doctor asked if I had been taking testosterone replacement therapy.
I told him that I switched from processed to real food and started to deadlift. The increase in testosterone shocked the doctor. He said that the deadlift exercise benefits for testosterone were better than testosterone replacement therapy. If you have low-T or low testosterone, consider the benefits of deadlifts for testosterone.
4. Benefits of Deadlifts for Older Men and Women over ’29’
Deadlifts transform your entire body and creates fantastic results for men and women. But you could never imagine an ‘older’ man or woman deadlifting, can you?
The truth is that you can get leaner and stronger, no matter what your age is. If you think deadlifting over 50 is impossible, you must watch Shirley Webb deadlift 255 pounds at age 80. In fact, you need to watch this motivational video of the powerlifting grandma aka ‘HERcules’ no matter what your age.
Read here how Shirley Webb regained incredible functional health and mobility because of the amazing benefits of deadlifts.
5. The King of All Exercise
Fitness authorities know how to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Bryan DiSanto of http://leanitup.com is a personal trainer, fat loss and muscle building expert. Look at what he writes about the benefits of deadlifts:
’In the weightlifting realm, deadlifts reign king. Deadlifts and squats are far and away the best all-around exercises that exists. They build an all-around powerful, muscular, shredded physique faster than any other exercise. It’s cheating the weight-lifting system. Deadlifts are equally beneficial for women. Deadlifts shred body fat, and build muscle all over your body.’
When you find the best, forget the rest.
6. Stop Wasting Your Time in the Gym
The most common weight lifting mistake is going to the gym to only do dumbbell curls, or worse, machine curls.
Do not spend 30 minutes of your precious time to work only one muscle group. To transform your body, focus on the one exercise that targets the muscles of your entire body, the deadlift.
The deadlift works most of the muscles of your entire body; your calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, core, arms, lower/middle/upper back, traps, and shoulders, forearms and grip.
7. Stop Dieting and Start Deadlifting to Lose Weight
But deadlifts are not just for muscles building purposes only. Stop dieting and start deadlifting for weight loss. The deadlift is an intense full body exercise, so you will burn plenty of calories. But, the real benefits of deadlifts for weight loss begin after your workout.
As your body packs on muscle, your metabolism will rise and your weight loss will accelerate.
Deadlift once a week, do push ups and jumping jacks or jump rope every day, walk 10k steps a day, and eat real food. Here is a simple formula courtesy of the Hashi Mashi Diet and Exercise Plan™ for weight loss and amazing body transformation results:
Eat real food daily
- Remember, you can never out train a bad diet.
- Avoid processed food and eat real food, it is that simple.
Walk/swim/bike/elliptical for 30 minutes 5 times a week.
8. Get Rid of Your Belly Fat – Fast
Losing weight is not enough to transform your physique from fat to fit. Many people who lose weight, are still not fit and in shape. You need to get rid of the belly fat to look and feel better than ever.
9. Develop an Attractive Physique
10. Look Like an Athlete
Eat real food, add deadlifts, squats, and pushups, and your body will transform. This transformation will happen over six months to a year, depending on how out of shape you are now.
If you eat and train like an athlete, you will start to look like an athlete.
Do not expect immediate results from the benefits of deadlifts. Be patient, be consistent, think progress, not perfection.
11. Great for Busy People
How much time do you have during the day to do a workout? You commute to your office, help your kids with homework and have errands. You’re busy and have little free time. But, if you can get to your gym or home gym for 30 minutes, you can deadlift for body transformation.
- Warm up for at least five minutes, either walking or on an elliptical.
- Start out with an Olympic size barbell and 10 pound bumper plates on either side.
- This is 65 pounds of weight.
- If this is too heavy, then start with dumbbells.
- Starting position – keep your feet a bit narrower than shoulder width.
- Start out with a double overhand grip or mixed grip.
- Keep your back straight and never round your back.
- Grab the bar with a strong grip.
- Keep your hips and knees below your shoulders, do not hunch your back.
- Take a deep breath at the top and tighten your core.
- Hold a full breath into your abdominal to create more stability in your core.
- This applies to squats and deadlifts to create a firm stable core.
- Hold your breath and keep your body tight
- If you do not hold your breath, you might relax your body too much.
- I did that and immediately felt lower back pain, that was not good.
- Use the power in your hips, legs and posterior chain to lift the weight, not your back.
- Think of doing a standing leg press and when the bar gets close to your knees, drive your hips forward.
- Keep moving the bar in a straight path, up from and back down to the floor.
How to Deadlift – Stronglifts
12. Strengthen Your Posterior Chain
13. Sculpt Your Core
15. Prevent Lower Back Pain
16. Strengthen Your Grip
17. Walk Tall Again – Improve your Posture
18. The Classic Model of Progressive Resistance Training
Milo of Croton was a 6th-century BC Greek wrestler. To achieve his legendary strength, Milo began lifting a young bull. He continued to do this every day, and as the bull grew in size, Milo gained strength to match. This story of Milo illustrates progressive resistance training and the SAID Principle.
What is the SAID Principle?
The SAID principle states that the human body adapts to imposed demands. For given stressors on the human system, biomechanical or neurological, there will be a Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands1)http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol21/sale.htm.
The SAID principle is a fundamental strength training concept. Your body will respond to the imposed demands of increasing the weight you lift. You will get progressively stronger just like Milo of Croton.
How to Use The SAID Principle to Reap The Benefits of Deadlifts
If 50 pounds is easy for you to lift, great. Go home and come back two days later. Do the same deadlift workout the next time. Five minutes for your warm up as mentioned above, but this time, add another five pounds to the bar. This is where fractional plates are handy, 2.5 pounds on either side of the bar.
Even if you could go up twenty pounds in weight, don’t. It is much more effective to go up in weight 5 – 10 pounds a week. Gradually increase the weight you are lifting to see the best results. Even if you only do one set of 5 deadlifts every workout, you will keep getting stronger.
As always, make sure you focus on using great form. Imagine if you rely on deadlifts for your main strength exercise, for an entire year. A 15 to 30 minute workout every other day, with weekends off. Increase your weight 5 pounds every week. At the end of a year, you can be deadlifting 250 pounds.
The benefits of deadlifts for runners, sprinters and even actors can have spectacular results. Read how Allyson Felix won gold as an Olympic runner and How Hugh Jackman Got Ripped For His Role in The Wolverine.
19. Proper Form Deadlifts are Safe
20. Strengthen Your Activities of Daily Living
You might even impress your mother-in-law the next time you load her suitcase in the car.
21. High-Intensity Cardiovascular Workout
Deadlifts work your heart and help raise your VO2Max. Your VO2Max is your body’s ability to transport and use oxygen during exercise. This is an indicator of your level of cardiovascular fitness. An unknown benefit of deadlifting is the development of cardiorespiratory fitness. Deadlifts will tax your cardiorespiratory system if done with enough intensity.
This has positive ramifications for cardiovascular health. High-intensity deadlifts workout your entire body. Next time you do a few sets of deadlifts with even only 5 repetitions, you will feel the workout intensity.
22. Natural Mood Booster
23. Forget About Prozac
Maximize real food and reduce processed foods.
- Establish a schedule of 3 real food meals and a snack every day.
- Take a 30 minute to hour walk with friends/family or by yourself, get moving.
Train six days a week alternating between your upper body and lower body
On lower body days, do squats and/or deadlifts.
On upper body days, do pushups, shoulder presses, bench presses, pull ups/chin ups and dumbbell rows.
Once a week, take a break, spend time with family and/or friends, eat whatever you want (within reason.)
Please share this information with doctors and medical professionals. They can help their patients treat depression without antidepressants. This is especially important for people with treatment resistant depression.
24. Benefits of Deadlifts for Treatment-Resistant Depression
25. A Classic Measure Of Overall Strength
- The deadlift is a true measure of strength, because deadlifts use most muscle groups of your body. As a result, deadlifts are a better test of full body muscle strength.
26. Special Appeal
Deadlifts have a special appeal. Picking a weight off the floor, has a special primordial appeal. Deadlifting is like ripping a gigantic tree out of the ground. Standing and holding the massive weight also promotes a feeling of immense power.
27. Deadlift for Positive Thinking and a Better Life
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the USA. 2)http://triblive.com/usworld/world/13736000-74/suicide-now-the-10th-leading-cause-of-death-in-us-cdc-says Deadlifts are a great way to prevent suicidal ideation and suicide. Before checking into a hospital, pick up a gym membership or make a home gym.
Get the right tools that you need for squats and deadlifts. If your psychiatrist recommends antidepressants or Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), appeal to your doctor to let you try the Hashi Mashi Plan™ first.
Depression or suicidal ideation will not fix the issue upsetting you.
Of course, whatever you can do to rectify a situation, do it. But, many times, depression and suicidal ideation are the results of circumstances beyond your control. For example, you might feel suicidal because of a broken relationship. Or you might contemplate suicide after divorce, family estrangement or job loss.
Male suicide is a silent epidemic and deadlifts are the perfect solution for men and women as well. The mental health benefits of deadlifts helps you regain your composure and even rebuild your life. You’ll feel stronger than ever, as heaving progressively heavier weight off the ground will improve your mental and physical fitness.
Just as you get physically stronger, so too will you get mentally stronger. The deadlift will help you lift the dead weight of suicidal ideation out of your mind.
If your suicidal ideation is a result of antidepressants, consider using the New SIGECAPS as an antidepressant alternative. The only side effects from the New SIGECAPS is you will get leaner and stronger faster than you ever thought possible. You will just feel too good to consider suicide an option.
28. Small Area and Basic Weightlifting Equipment
If you want to get back into shape and only have time for one strength training exercise, let it be the deadlift. All you need is some basic weightlifting equipment and gear like the following to get started:
- 7 Foot Olympic Barbell
- Premium Bumper Plates
- Olympic Fractional Plates
- Quick Release Collars
- Nike Metcon 4 Weightlifting Shoes – Never Squat or Deadlift Without the Right Shoes.
- Protect Your Shins With Deadlift Socks
- Pants for Additional Leg Protection
- Weightlifting Belt for Back Support
- Dead Wedge Jack
- Ultra Thick Equipment Mat – Don’t make too much noise deadlifting or you could end up with a meshuganah neighbor/fellow gym goer weightlifter like this one:
And last but not least, a good book on how to do the deadlift, squat and bench press, the basic powerlifting lifts.
You can use either a conventional straight bar or a hex bar. Read this post for more detailed information on the benefits of using a hex bar.
See more details at the suggested tools for mind and body fitness page here.
An Important Warning:
How long have you used weight machines and the treadmill, but are still overweight? Imagine if you can get lean and strong without spending hours in the gym. With every workout, you build muscle and lose fat.
But right now, that feels like an impossible dream, doesn’t it?
But, what if I told you that the fitness benefits of deadlifts are not just for bodybuilders or young people?
Once you know the staggering advantages of deadlifts, you will no longer be shy. You will abandon the machines and tackle free weights and the ‘King of All Exercises’.
When I was desperate to get into shape, my first thought was a low carb diet and a ton of cardio. I spent many years wasting time doing plenty of both. But I did not experience body transformation until I started to deadlift. Deadlifts are the most powerful weight training exercise to add to your fitness toolbox.
Your go to exercise to lose weight, build muscle and get fit is the deadlift. This powerful multi-joint exercise will develop your entire body. And gives you functional strength for real daily life activities. Deadlifting will also enhance your athletic performance as well as avoid injuries.
References [ + ]