Introduction to Eddie Hall, the King of Deadlift
Eddie Hall’s deadlift tips are worth their weight in gold.
Because if you want to learn about the deadlift, there is no one more accomplished than Eddie.
Hall is the current title holder for the deadlift world record of half a ton, 500 kg, 1,102.31 pounds on July 10, 2016.
He also won the World’s Strongest Man in 2017.
It is no wonder that Eddie is known as The Beast!
He performed his most famous feat of deadlift strength on July 10, 2016, in front of 10,000 fans at the World Deadlift Championships in Leeds, England.
This historic display of superhuman strength still stands today.¹
Will anyone ever match Eddie Hall’s world record deadlift of 500kg (1,102.31 pounds)?
How He Started His Strongman Career
Hall was born in Newcastle-under-Lyme, England on January 15, 1988.
The Beast started his athletic career as a Rugby player and competitive swimmer as a teenager.
Despite being expelled from Clayton High School at the age of 15 and becoming a car mechanic, he achieved worldwide fame for his strongman and deadlift titles.
He originally trained as a bodybuilder and then qualified for strongman competition in 2012 at the age of 24.
Strongman Titles and Deadlift Records
- 2010 – 1st place England’s Strongest Man (Elite)
- 2011 – 1st place England’s Strongest Man (UKSC)
- 2011 – 2016 1st place UK’s Strongest Man for six years straight
- 2013 – 2nd place Giants Live Hungary
- 2014 – 3rd place Giants Live Hungary
- 2014 – 2018 – 1st place Britain’s Strongest Man five years straight
- 2015 – Achieved a deadlift world record of 462 kg (1,019 lb; 72.8 st) at the Arnold Classic in Australia.
- 2016 – 3rd World’s Strongest Man
- 2016 – Long bar deadlift of 465 kg (1,025 lb) for a new world record
- 2017 – 2nd Europe’s Strongest Man
- 2017 – 1st place winner World’s Strongest Man.
In his last Strongman contest, Hall defeated four-time winner Brian Shaw, from the USA, and Game of Thrones star Hafthor Bjornsson “The Mountain” from Iceland.
World Record Deadlift
On July 10, 2016, he set the current world record of half a ton, 500kg deadlift (1,102.31 lbs) at the World Deadlift Championships in Leeds, England.
Immediately after this jaw-dropping deadlift, Eddie Hall nearly died from bursting blood vessels in his brain.
He lost consciousness and temporarily lost his vision.
As a result, Hall retired from Strongman competitions because of health concerns and devotion to his wife Alexandra Hall and their two children.
Hall’s 500kg world record deadlift still stands today and is not in jeopardy of being broken anytime soon.
One of the only other men on the planet who appears poised to do a 501kg deadlift is American Jerry Pritchett.
Watch Jerry makes deadlift of 1,030 pounds on an elephant bar:
23 Top Eddie Hall Deadlift Program Tips
How to Deadlift
#1. Find your perfect starting position with a deficit deadlift.
- Stand with a barbell loaded with 25-pound bumper plates on either side.
- Lower the barbell in a vertical line till the plates touch the floor.
- Remember this position because it is your best deadlift starting position.
#2. Keep the barbell over the middle of your foot.
#3. A good cue is to line up the bar right over the arch of your foot.
#4. Or you can also use masking tape on the floor under the barbell to see where midfoot is for your feet.
Stance and Grip
#5. Your position should be shoulder-width, similar to how you set up for a leg press.
#6. A good cue for how wide your grip should be is to line up your thumbs with the middle of your shin and then grip the bar.
#7. There should be no friction between your arms and legs, pulling or lowering the weight.
#8. The bar should travel in a straight line up and down.
#9. Instead of letting the bar crash to the floor, lightly tap the bar on the floor between reps.
Think Leg Press
#10. Hold the bar tight and leg press the planet away from you.
Don’t train to lockout
#11. A fascinating tip is not to waste time and energy deadlifting the bar to a full lockout position.
Because the hardest part is deadlifting the weight to the knee.
Therefore, that is where most of your training should be.
#12. Deadlift to a full lockout position once a month.
Why waste time and energy training for the last half of the deadlift if the first half is the most difficult?
Deadlift Assistance Exercises
#13. Always work between a 10 and 12 rep range for smaller deadlift assistance muscles, like your lats which are relatively small compared to the main muscle groups used by the deadlift.
#15. A few work sets of 10 to 12 reps are enough for rows, lat pulldowns, and pullups.
#16. Don’t overtrain!
#17. For every exercise you do, end with your highest weight you can move.
#18. Don’t go back for more reps at a lighter weight.
Once your muscle gets used to lifting heavy, why go backward?
#19. Train explosively for all your exercises.
#20. Always work on building speed.
#21. Use a deadlift bar that has the proper tensile strength for competitive deadlifting.
#22. Eddie recommends the Texas deadlift bar.
He pulled 500kg for a world record that still stands using the Texas bar.
#23. He also suggests using the deadlift deadener. to protect your floor, reduce noise, and perfect your technique.
Eddie Hall Deadlift – Final Thoughts
Whether you want to deadlift a thousand pounds or dramatically change your body, use these 23 Eddie Hall deadlift workout tips to improve your technique and strength.
If you are a deadlift beginner and need to lose weight first, use this guide to lose 20 lbs in 3 months.
Once you are ready to deadlift, learn How to Do a Deadlift for Beginners – A Step by Step Guide, and then try out this beginner deadlift training routine and 12-week program.
When you want to know the best deadlift tips, learn from the King of the deadlift, Eddie Hall.
Best Deadlifters Tips and Tricks
- 5 Fantastic Ed Coan Deadlift Program Tips You Need to Know
- Franco Columbu Deadlift Record Will Inspire You to Achieve Your Dreams
- 11 Best Steph Curry Deadlift and Training Secrets
- 5 Allyson Felix Deadlift Workout Plan Results
- 11 Inspiring Lamar Gant Deadlift Facts Every Fan Should Know
- Hermann Goerner’s Deadlift Records Will Leave You Speechless
- 23 Best Eddie Hall Deadlift Program Tips
- Roy Hibbert’s Deadlift Training Will Make You a Better Athlete
- Hugh Jackman Deadlift: How He Got Ripped For ‘Wolverine’
- 25 Best Konstantin Konstantinovs Deadlift Workout Routine Tips
- 3 Tragic Derek Poundstone Workout Injuries That Are Not in Vain
- 29 Best Brian Shaw Deadlift Tips that Will Make You Fit
- 13 Essential Alan Thrall Deadlift Tips You Need to Know
- The Powerlifting Grandma – A Shirley Webb Deadlift Will Make You Strong in 5 Amazing Ways
- 50 Essential Deadlift Tips and Tricks Every Beginner Should Know
About Squats and Deadlifts:
- 7 Greatest Deadlift Muscles Worked That Can Change Your Life
- 37 Remarkable Benefits of Deadlifts to Unleash Your Fitness Fast
- 15 Safe Deadlift Alternatives that Will Protect a Bad Back
- What Muscles Does a Hex Bar Deadlift Work?
- How Deadlifts Change Your Body in 27 Powerful Ways
- Top 7 Halting Snatch Deadlift Lessons from Dmitry Kolokov
- 20 Greatest Benefits of Squats – The King of Free Weight Strength Training
- 7 Powerful Squats Muscles Worked Will Improve Your Life
- Squats for Weight Loss and Body Transformation
Squat and Deadlift Workouts and Programs:
- How to Do a Deadlift for Beginners – A Step by Step Guide
- 3×5 Workout Plan: The Only Strength Training Program You Will Ever Need
- Phraks Greyskull LP Variant vs. Starting Strength vs. GSLP
- 5 Powerful Franco Columbu Workout Routine Tips You Can Use Today
- One Great Beginner Deadlift Workout Routine for Powerlifting and Fitness
- 7 Reasons You Should Do Banded Deadlifts (With or Without a Barbell)
- One Great Beginner Squat Workout Routine for Powerlifting and Fitness
- Powerbuilding Program for Beginners: Get Big AND Strong + PDF
- How To Do A Dumbbell Deadlift: Proper Form, Benefits + Variations
- 12 Week Deadlift Program for Beginners in Fitness or Powerlifting
Never Give Up on Getting Fitter Than You Are Today
- Fat to Fit Men Training Plan for Men Over 50
- The Best Men’s Fitness Over 50 Tips That Will Change Your Life
- 11 Getting Fit at 50 Before and After Results Photos; Fit Apprentice
- 7 Best Rob McElhenney Workout Tips to Get Ripped in 7 Months
- The Hashi Mashi Plan; Fitness Tips for Your Mind and Body
Best Squat and Deadlift Gear Buying Guides:
- 5 Best Deadlift Shin Guards on the Market Today in 2020
- 7 Best Knee Sleeves for Squats on the Market Today in 2020
- Best Deadlift Shoes: Buying Guide for 2020
- 5 Best Shoes for Squats and Deadlifts on the Market Today in 2020
- Best Deadlift Socks to Protect Your Shins AND Back from Injury
- Weightlifting Gear You Need; Knee Sleeves, Wrist Wraps, Belts, and More!
- 5 Best Deadlift Bars on The Market Today in 2020
- Ric Flair Deadlifts 400 Pounds at the Age of 67
- A Simple HIIT Workout Will Torch Fat and Transform your Body
- 5 Best Stiff Leg Deadlift Benefits for Total Body Development