Best Bodybuilding Supplements for Men Over 50 – Introduction
What are the best bodybuilding supplements for men over 50?
Nutritional supplements are nothing new.
In fact, humans have been using supplements for hundreds if not thousands of years.
For example, Viking raiders used a herb called bog myrtle to increase endurance and aggression.
These warriors were called Berserkers, which is where the term “going berserk” comes from, meaning to go a little crazy.
And then there were the ancient Romans, who fed dried bulls’ testicles to their gladiators to increase strength and stamina, hoping to harness the power of these immense animals.
Fast forward to the 21st century, and while the ingredients have thankfully changed, the basic concept of nutritional supplements is mainly the same.
While some people take supplements to improve their health, others take them for improved exercise and athletic performance.
This raises the question – can supplements help men in their 50s build muscle or lose fat faster?
Or are nutritional supplements just a waste of money?
It turns out that there are some supplements that can be very helpful for older adults.
They can allow you to train harder, longer, or more often, recover faster, and ease your aches and pains.
While no supplement will ever make you feel like you did in your 20s and 30s, they can help you get more from your workouts, despite your advancing age.
This article reveals the EIGHT best bodybuilding supplements for men over 50.
The 8 Best Bodybuilding Supplements for Men Over 50
With so many nutritional supplements available, it can be hard to know what to buy.
So, to make your decision easier, here are the eight best types of fitness supplements for men over 50 and our favorite products.
#1. Whey Protein Powder
- GOLD STANDARD 100% Whey delivers 24g of whey protein, has 5.5 grams of naturally...
- Whey protein shake consumed before or after exercise helps kick start muscle...
- Over 20 delicious flavors to choose from including more on another product page.
- Frequently purchased with ON Creatine, ESSENTIAL AMIN.O. ENERGY, and OPTI-MEN
If you only use one supplement, whey protein powder should be it.
Exercise is catabolic, meaning it causes muscle breakdown.
Your body needs enough protein for muscle repair and growth.
Consume too little protein, and your progress will soon grind to a halt.
Building muscle in your 50s can be hard as your body simply recovers more slowly than when you were younger.
Using whey protein makes it much easier to consume the recommended two grams of protein intake per kilogram of body weight or one gram per pound.
There are lots of different whey protein powders available, but Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey is one of the best.
It’s well-priced, mixes easily, and most importantly, these protein shakes taste really good.
Try the double-rich chocolate variety; it’s excellent!
#2. Creatine Monohydrate
- 5 grams pure creatine monohydrate per serving
- Supports increases in energy, endurance and recovery
- Maximum potency supports muscle size, strength, and power
- Supreme absorbency micronized to get the most out of each dose
- Optimum Nutrition is the World's #1 Sports Nutrition Brand. Banned substance...
Supplements come and go, and many have been proven to be useless.
However, creatine has been extensively researched and really does work.
Creatine, which has been around for close to 40 years, is a non-stimulatory energy source used by your muscles.
Taking this supplement can help you lift more weight, do more reps, and recover faster between sets and workouts.
It’s also been shown to enhance muscle growth, minimize muscle catabolism, and burn fat.
It may even be good for your brain, too.
Research shows that creatine supplements are safe and have few unwanted side effects.
There are different forms of creatine available, but plain creatine monohydrate is as good as any, and it’s cheap and widely available.
Optimum Nutrition Creatine Monohydrate is unflavored, micronized for easy mixing, and very well priced.
#3. Branched-Chain Amino Acids
- Amino Blend: a mix of amino acids to aid in recovery
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of...
- Energy: 100mg per serving of caffeine from natural sources like green tea and/or...
- Anytime Energy: This unique formula is perfect for any time of the day, from...
- 1g of carbs. 0g sugar. 10+ delightful flavors to choose from. Also check out our...
Protein is made up of building blocks called amino acids.
Three of these amino acids are especially important for muscle growth – leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
Collectively, because of their structure, these substances are called branched-chain amino acids, or BCAAs for short.
Taking BCAAs before, during, and/or after exercise can help ward off fatigue, reduce muscle breakdown, and speed up recovery after exercise.
Combine with creatine to make the perfect pre/mid/post-workout drink.
Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy is an excellent product that contains all the critical BCAAs plus other fatigue fighters and recovery boosters, including a welcome shot of energizing caffeine.
- Packaging May Vary
- Zinc Provides Immune Support
- HIGH QUALITY FORMS OF ZINC, MAGNESIUM, AND VITAMIN B6
- 10 mg Vitamin B6, 435 mg Magnesium, 28 mg Zinc
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE FORMULA - your body demands greater nutritional needs to fuel...
Sleep is crucial for building muscle and burning fat.
Too little sleep can undermine your energy levels and even reduce the production of testosterone and growth hormone, which are the drivers of muscle repair and growth.
While you could take a prescription pill to ensure you sleep through the night, this type of medication is not without risks.
A safer option is the supplement ZMA, which contains the natural sleep enhancers of zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
Take 2-3 capsules shortly before heading off to bed to sleep longer and more soundly and gently increase testosterone and growth hormone production.
There are lots of ZMA supplements available, but Optimum Nutrition Zinc Magnesium Aspartate is one of our favorites and also one of the best.
#4. Vitamin D
- An essential Vitamin: Vitamin D is an essential nutrient for healthy bones,...
- Sunshine In a Bottle: The Vitamin D Council recommends daily vitamin D...
- Pure & natural: These Vitamin D3 immune support and bone health supplements are...
- Uncompromising Quality: All NatureWise supplements are Manufactured in USA-based...
- Directions: It's normal for softgels to stick together and clump during warm...
Vitamin D plays a crucial role in the production of testosterone.
Testosterone is an anabolic hormone vital for muscle repair and growth that also regulates your sex drive.
Levels of testosterone peak in your early 30s and decline gradually after that.
Low T-levels can have a significant impact on your health and fitness.
Studies reveal that taking vitamin D supplements may increase testosterone production in men over 50.
Your body makes vitamin D when exposed to sunshine, but, as that’s not always possible, a supplement may be a better choice, especially if you live somewhere that doesn’t get much sun.
Vitamin D supplementation is cheap and safe and could be the missing link to optimizing your testosterone levels.
Try NatureWise vitamin D3 – it’s organic and comes in easy-to-swallow soft-gel capsules.
- vitamin d provides immune support
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of...
- packaging may vary - new look, with the same trusted quality!
- 175mg of caffeine- help fuel your mind and body to train at the highest level
- 3g creatine - help support overall performance
As a man in your 50s, you probably have days where your motivation levels run low, and you don’t have as much energy as usual.
In some cases, a cup of coffee and some positive self-talk is all you need to get up and moving.
You’ll probably feel fine once you start to exercise.
But, if you’re still feeling less energetic than usual, a pre-workout could be the answer.
Pre-workout supplements are drink powders designed to get you fired up and energized so you can power through your training program.
They contain various ingredients, including vasodilators to increase blood flow, lactic acid buffers to ward off fatigue, and natural stimulants to boost mental and physical energy.
Some pre-workouts contain dangerously high levels of caffeine, as much as 4-6 cups of coffee.
Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard Pre-Workout provides a more modest 175mg plus creatine, vitamin D, and a host of other beneficial and energizing ingredients.
It tastes pretty good too.
Take a shot the next time you don’t feel like working out but want to hit the gym anyway.
#6. Essential Fatty Acids
- WHY OMEGA-3S - Research shows that the essential fatty acids EPA & DHA in fish...
- DOCTOR-RECOMMENDED FORMULA - Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega features high...
- BETTER ABSORPTION, BETTER TASTE, NO FISHY BURPS - All of our omega-3 fish oil...
- PURITY GUARANTEED - Every batch of Nordic Naturals fish oil is crafted from...
- ETHICAL INNOVATION - Nordic Naturals has always been at the forefront of...
Most older men have to contend with joint aches and pains.
It’s part and parcel of the aging process and usually the result of accumulated wear and tear.
The discomfort is caused by inflammation, which is the swelling and reddening of tissue.
While a few minor aches and pains are only to be expected if you are an over 50s exerciser, they can sometimes be bad enough to put you off your workout.
The good news is that there is a natural supplement that can help calm your joints and are also good for your heart – essential fatty acids, or EFAs for short.
EFAs are a special kind of fat that your body uses for chemical and cellular reactions, including reducing inflammation.
EFAs are typically found in fish, but you have to eat a lot to get enough of what you need.
A high-potency supplement like Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega is a much easier and more convenient way to ensure that you’re getting enough of this beneficial substance.
- Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc Provide Immune Support along with Vitamin E
- High potency multivitamin for active men. 75+ ingredients in 4 performance...
- From our Opti-Men and Opti-Women formulas to Immunity & Probiotic Gummies or...
- We recommend that the product be stored in the original container and kept in a...
- Optimum nutrition also offers a very popular opti women multi vitamin, a high...
In theory, you should be able to get all the vitamins and minerals you need from your diet.
However, even if you eat healthily most of the time, you may still be a little deficient in some of the compounds you need for optimal health.
As you age, especially if you are an avid exerciser, your body needs more than the recommended amount of vitamins and minerals.
And while you could supplement these substances individually, it’ll probably be easier to use an all-in-one product designed specifically for men.
Optimum Nutrition’s Opti-men contains the most important vitamins such as;
- vitamin C,
- and vitamins D, vitamin E, and vitamin B12, as well as
- zinc to enhance immune function and boost hormone production.
ON Opti-men also provides essential amino acids, antioxidants, and virility boosters, so it’s a great product for men over 50.
#8. Testosterone Booster
- Optimized Physical Performance: Suffering from low test impacts energy,...
- Build Stronger, Leaner Muscles: A daily supplement that includes ingredients...
- Improved Energy & Endurance: Unlike other workout supplements and energy...
- Enhanced Formula: Prime Test contains carefully selected ingredients to help you...
- About Prime Labs: Prime Labs is a trusted men’s supplement company that...
A healthy diet and strength training program can help maintain your testosterone levels.
That said, age-related decreases in testosterone production are inevitable.
Lifestyle factors including stress as well as genetics may mean also that your T-levels fall into decline sooner or more rapidly than they should.
Low testosterone can make it all but impossible to gain muscle, often resulting in fat gain and reduced sex drive.
While very low testosterone levels can be treated medically, testosterone-boosting supplements are generally cheaper, safer, and more accessible.
There are lots of testosterone boosters to choose from, but Prime Labs Prime Test is among the best.
Best Bodybuilding Supplements for Men Over 50 – Wrapping Up
While no supplement is essential, if you want to get more from your workouts, any of these eight products will help you reach your fitness goals.
But, if it comes to choosing between a supplement and real food or working out consistently, eating clean food and regular physical activity should always be your top priority.
While supplements are powerful aids, they can’t make up for a poor diet or irregular workout routine.
Think of supplements as effort multipliers – the harder you work, the more effective they’ll be.
Sadly, there are no magic pills or potions that will do the hard work for you!
But, if you combine some well-chosen supplements with a healthy diet and consistent workout plan, you’ll be amazed at how well your body will respond.
To get the best results from your workouts, you need to eat clean and take advantage of supplementation when appropriate, as explained above.
While the most powerful compound movements on earth, like:
- squats, and
- bench presses,
will strengthen your primary muscle groups, you might be most interested in hypertrophy, meaning building bigger muscles.
For that, you need an excellent bodybuilding routine to shed fat, build muscle and transform your body, while respecting that you’re in your fifth decade.
This next article – The Ultimate Bodybuilding Workout Routine for Men Over 50 explains why bodybuilding is such an excellent workout for men over 50 and provides you with an eight-week bodybuilding program to follow.