Find your 1 rep max calculator deadlift, squat, and bench fast in 5 easy steps. But first –
What is a One-Rep Max?
Your 1 rep max is the maximum amount of weight you can lift for a single repetition. Knowing your one-rep max is especially meaningful for the sport of Powerlifting because, in competition, you will do your 1RM for the three lifts:
- Bench Press, and
But, you are not in a powerlifting competition, and only want to get stronger. And you know that there are few strength training exercises which will lean out your body faster than the deadlift.
How to Find Your 1RM Without Injury
Attempting a one-rep max on a squat, deadlift, bench press is a terrible idea. Unless you have a deep-seated desire to injure yourself. Instead, here is the formula to calculate your one-rep max for use in a beginner deadlift program:
- 1 RM = weight * reps * 0.0333 + weight
1RM = the predicted maximum amount of weight you can lift for a single repetition.
Reps = number of reps or repetitions
- Specs: 110, 000 Psi tensile strength Japanese cold rolled steel; 15...
- Construction: Built from solid cold rolled steel with a black...
- FEATURES – The sleeves are designed with snap clips and the bar...
- DURABLE: Original bar is made of steel, black oxide finish and...
- TRUST: Trust experience; CAP has been a pioneer in the fitness...
This formula is known as the Epley formula. Jim Wendler popularized it in his book 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength.
As a result, the Epley formula is also known as the Wendler formula. This deadlift 1RM calculator works for the most critical barbell compound lifts; squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bent-over rows. And any other weight lifting exercise like the front squat.
How to Warm Up to Test Your 1RM
To determine your one-rep max deadlift the safe way, do the following:
- Test if you can easily lift two 20 pound kettlebells from the floor.
- Put the kettlebells down on the floor, push your hips back, grip the kettlebell handles, keep your back straight, tighten (brace) your core, and push the floor away with your feet.
- Do not lift the kettlebells with your arms. See the Deadlift Form Checklist for more deadlifts tips.
- Instead, keep your arms long, they are like hooks, only there to grip the handle tightly.
- It is your posterior chain that pulls the bar up.
- Posterior chain refers to the muscles that are on the backside of your body. Those muscles, your glutes, your hamstrings, these are the main muscles that do the deadlift.
If you can easily lift two 20 or 30-pound kettlebells, next move on to an Olympic barbell which has two 10 lb bumper plates on each side.
- Kettlebell supports a wide range of resistance-training exercises
- Made of solid high-quality cast iron for reliable built-to-last...
- Painted surface for increased durability and corrosion protection
- Textured wide handle helps ensure a comfortable, secure grip; hold...
- Weighs 20 pounds; backed by an AmazonBasics limited one-year warranty
- Bumper plates are an excellent tool for the deadlift beginner.
- This is because a 5-pound bumper plate has the same circumference as a standard 45-pound iron plate .
- For example, these REP FITNESS Colored Bumper Plates for Strength and Conditioning... come in 5 lb, 10 lb, 15 lb, 25 lb 35 and 45 pounds.
- This means that you can warm up using bumper plates with the barbell already set at the typical height for a standard deadlift. The proper bar height for a deadlift is 8.75 inches no matter how tall or short you are.
- Always deadlift at the standard bar height. This is better for your safety and if you want to go beyond the deadlift for fitness, and pursue powerlifting.
- Another plus of bumper plates is that they are made out of virgin and recycled rubber with a cast iron core.
- As a result, you will protect your floor and not make as much noise deadlifting with bumper plates as iron plates. This is a welcome feature when you have a home or garage gym.
With a pair of 10 lb bumper plates, the total weight with a 45-pound Olympic barbell is 65 pounds. Attempt to do five repetitions. If it feels comfortable, add another pair of 10-pound iron plates to bring the weight up to 85 pounds. Do five more deadlift repetitions.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult did that last set feel? Use a scale of 1 to 10, with one being the easiest and ten being the hardest. If you felt like it is a level 6 or 7, that is heavy enough to determine your 1RM.
- Superior design with extra thick 10 lb plates for high durability, and...
- No odor, won't stink up your gym
- Low bounce. No need to chase your bar around.
- Factory tested to withstand over 15,000 drops from a height of 8 ft
- 1 year warranty on 10's and 15's, 3 years on 25's, 35's, 45's, 55's...
1 Rep Max Calculator Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press
1RM Calculator Deadlift in 5 Easy Steps
Here is how the deadlift 1RM calculator works: All you have to do is plug in the number 85 lbs and 5 reps to the 1 rep max formula:
Step 1. 1 RM calc = weight * reps * 0.0333 + weight
Step 2. 1 RM = 85 * 5 * 0.0333 + weight =
Step 3. 85 x 5 = 425
Step 4. 425 x 0.0333 = 14.1525
Step 5. 14.1525 + the original weight of 85 pounds = 99 or round up to 100 pounds.
Top 10 Related posts:
- 5 Best Deadlift Shoes to Get the Most out of Every Single Rep in 2020
- 3 Army ACFT Deadlift Standards for Combat Fitness You Probably Didn’t Know
- Hermann Goerner’s Deadlift Records Will Leave You Speechless
- 9 Essential Deadlift Workout Tips for Beginners
- 3 Tragic Derek Poundstone Injuries That Are Not in Vain
- Roy Hibbert’s Deadlift Training Will Make You a Better Athlete
- 10 Proper Form Deadlift Rules to Prevent Injuries
- Losing Weight Without Trying
- Leg Curl Benefits for Squats and Keep deadlifting Despite the Winter
- 5 Best Deadlift Shin Guards on the Market Today in 2020
Now you know that Eddie Hall’s shocking 1 Rep Max Deadlift was as much as an Elephant: