Introduction to The Fit Apprentice
This simple fitness plan, The Fit Apprentice, consists of two parts:
- Easy lifestyle changes that will help you to reach a normal body weight for your height
- A strength training program to help you get leaner and stronger, by adding more muscle to your body with the minimum number of exercises
The purpose of this fitness plan is to provide any person, no matter what their age, a path to freedom from obesity and its related conditions. Obesity is not just unattractive, it is dangerous for your long term health.
It is better for you to know the facts now, rather than wait till it is too late when you are already in the doctor's office.
What are the Health Effects of Obesity?
People who are thirty or more pounds heavier than their ideal weight are at increased risk for many serious diseases and health conditions according to the Center for Disease Control ¹. These risks include:
- All-causes of death (mortality)
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Some cancers (endometrial, breast, colon, kidney, gallbladder, and liver)
- Low quality of life
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning ¹
No matter what country you are in, your age, race, gender, or beliefs, obesity and it’s related conditions are a worldwide epidemic.
I know The Fit Apprentice works because it has worked for me, and others who follow the plan. My hope is that this free online fitness plan will help you get leaner and stronger too.
Don't take your health for granted, start today.
Who is this Fitness Plan for?
- know you need to lose weight but don’t know how, whether you need to lose 20 pounds or 100 pounds or more
- are overweight or obese and believe you can never take off the weight
- dread party invitations/gatherings because you are not happy with how you look and feel
- feel frustrated that you no longer fit into your best clothes
- heard from your doctor that it is either weight loss or potential medications for lowering cholesterol, high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes
- prefer eating and training to counting calories or points, taking laxatives, or starving
- do not want to go through bariatric surgery to reduce your folds of fat
- want the simplest fitness plan possible to achieve your ideal weight, get fit, look and feel better than ever
- think it is impossible to lose weight and transform your body shape, especially after 50
- prefer food and strength training instead of antidepressants to lift your mood
then, The Fit Apprentice is for you.
You can overcome the obstacles
Likely you have tried many diets, but still, do not know how to get started. Or you have come up empty-handed when you finally did lose weight but put it back on.
This plan is not for you if you want to dive deep into technical details of insulin resistance, cell metabolism, endocrinology, or hormones. Or if you want to be a competitive bodybuilder, powerlifter or Olympic athlete. There are countless books written by many doctors, athletes and scientists covering all of the factors related to health and fitness.
This fitness plan is for the average man or woman who is sick and tired of being fat, and not looking and feeling your best. The most important and easiest solution to looking and feeling better, and improving your health and fitness, is to achieve a normal weight for your height.
Yet, despite the thousands of diet plans and weight loss products, the world is fatter than ever, including the United States. As of 2019, America now leads the world in the percentage of adults over 20 who are obese.
So, if you weigh too much, don't feel bad, you are not alone and it is not your fault. A whopping 40 percent of American adults over 20 are obese and another 35 percent are overweight. A total of 75 percent of adults over 20 are either overweight or obese. And around the world, more people are overweight and obese than ever before in history.
Obesity is a preventable disease that you can absolutely overcome
Yes, there are challenges, but what better way to navigate than with the help of someone who has traveled the same path?
If you want to know more about my story, you can read more about me below in my welcome message. But, this program is about you, and how you can reach your ideal weight, get fit, and look and feel better than you think possible.
In order to make the Fit Apprentice as simple and practical as possible, I have stripped out as much technical jargon and unnecessary words as possible.
Last, because I am convinced that millions of people suffer unnecessarily with obesity and its related conditions, I offer this fitness plan free because I want to help you achieve a normal weight, which will dramatically improve your health, fitness, and how you look and feel.
What could be better than that?
Let's Get Started:
The Fit Apprentice™ Plan
Because I believe it is critical for you to have this information immediately, I am releasing The Fit Apprentice plan in version levels, just as software is released. Therefore, stay tuned and come back often for new information and modifications that could benefit you.
Step 1 – Know Your Ideal BMI and Weight Range
Step 1 will address the following:
- What is obesity
- The Hamwi method
- How to use a body mass index table
- Discover your recommended weight and BMI
What is Obesity?
The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) defines obesity as:
- A body mass index (BMI) over 30, or waist measurement over 40 inches for men.
- A body mass index (BMI) over 30, or waist measurement over 35 inches for women.
- Obesity is also defined by the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) as a person who is at least 30 pounds over their recommended weight for their height.
The Hamwi Method
But, what is your recommended weight? Here is a simple formula to help you determine the recommended weight for your height using the Hamwi method².
- The ideal body weight formula is 106 pounds for your first 5 feet of height, plus 6 pounds for every additional inch
- The ideal body weight formula is 100 pounds for the first 5 feet of height, plus 5 pounds for each additional inch.
With this formula, you can now easily calculate your approximate ideal body weight based on your height using the Hamwi method.
Stop reading now and calculate your recommended weight based on your height.
Fill in the blanks: my height is ______, therefore my recommended weight is _______ based on the Hamwi method.
The Body Mass Index Table
Another way to discover your BMI and ideal weight range is to use the National Institute of Health's Body Mass Index Table:
- Find your height in inches or centimeters in the left-hand column labeled ‘HEIGHT'.
- Now, move across the row to the right named ‘WEIGHT' and find your current body weight in pounds or kilograms.
- The number at the intersection of the HEIGHT and WEIGHT columns is your Body Mass Index (BMI).
- Notice the color associated with your BMI:
- Blue means you are underweight
- Green represents a healthy weight
- Yellow indicates overweight
- Orange is obese
- Red is extremely obese
Note: The BMI chart is accurate for average people. This means it is not precise for elite athletes, Olympians or bodybuilders who have significantly more muscle mass than the average person.
This Body Mass Index table will identify a healthy BMI and bodyweight range for your height. Therefore, for most people, the above BMI table is an excellent tool to discover whether your body weight and BMI is in the healthy range for your height or not.
Stop reading now and use the BMI table above to determine your recommended healthy weight range based on your height.
Fill in the blanks: According to the NIH (National Institute of Health), my recommended healthy weight range is
between _____ and _____ pounds/kgs, and my BMI should be _________.
Now that you know your ideal weight range, it is time to find out your current weight and body composition.
Step 2 – What’s Your Weight Today?
Step 2 will address the following:
- Start where you are
- What is your current weight?
- Are you overweight or obese?
- What are your current BMI and fat percentage?
Once you know your ideal body weight range, it is time to find out where you are now. This is the easy part because all you have to do is step on a scale. You have to establish a baseline if you want to improve your health and fitness. Once you know your scale weight, you can easily determine if you are overweight or obese.
Use a scale which includes BMI and body bat percentage
- Scale weight
- BMI (body mass index)
- Body fat percentage
- Water percentage
If you do not have a body composition scale, it is a great investment in helping yourself. Here are a few simple options:
- Conair WW Body Composition Scale – does not have Bluetooth* connectivity like the RENPHO below. However, it works just fine for me for the last seven years. This is the original scale that let me know that I was over 270 pounds. I knew I was ‘big', just not that big. I still use it today at 170 pounds to keep myself in check. This scale retails today for $26.49 and FREE Shipping.
- Bluetooth enabled Conair Body Analysis Scale – Today, I'd go for this one if you like the Conair because it will sync up with your devices and is easier for tracking. You can save $25.00 (36%) on a Bluetooth enabled Conair Body Analysis Scale which is available today for $44.99.
- RENPHO Bluetooth Body Composition Scale – RENPHO is an excellent smart body composition scale choice and is Amazon's choice with over eleven thousand reviews. Overall, the RENPHO is one of the most popular body composition scales out today and retails today for $25.99 and FREE Shipping.
Step 3. Weigh Yourself Now
Write down your weight and the date. You will be glad that you kept a record three to six months from now.
Stop reading now and step on a body composition scale to find out what your weight is today.
Fill in the blanks: Today on Month ______Day ______Year______,
- my scale weight is ___________.
- my body fat percentage is _________________,
- and BMI is _______________
My ideal BMI is ______ and weight range is __________.
If you are 30 pounds over your ideal scale weight, you are obese. And if your BMI is over 25, you are overweight, and if over 30, then obese. But no matter what, do not despair, the time will pass quickly and you can dramatically change your body in only 3 to 6 months without suffering.
Staying on Track
My suggestion is that you weigh in at the end of your workweek, typically Friday, after you wake up on an empty stomach.
This will give you a trend line from week to week. You want to lean out your body at the rate of 1 – 2 pounds a week. Over a 3 to 6-month time frame, you can free your body from approximately 25 to 50 pounds of excess weight.
But, do not get hung up on the number of pounds ‘lost’, because you are on this plan to gain.
You want to gain better health and fitness, and to look and feel better. This improvement in how you look and feel will happen if you are consistent with the plan.
While once a week weigh-in is a minimum, my experience is that you will see the best results if you incorporate a practice I call ‘the daily weigh’.
Unless you have an eating disorder and are under a doctor’s instructions to not weigh yourself daily, ‘the daily weigh’ is a great way to keep yourself on track.
Advantages of the Daily Weigh
- Keeps you on track
- Every day you can see how yesterday's meals and training affects your weight, fat percentage, and BMI
- This gives you the insight into how your body reacts to different variables – for example;
- restaurant food
- insufficient water
- lack of sleep
- eating too late
- types of food
- Motivates you to keep doing what works for your body
Step 4. What's for dinner?
Start with the evening meal
Most fitness plans start with breakfast, but the Fit Apprentice, which is a lifestyle plan starts in the evening. Because if you get your first evening right, you will already see an improvement. Even on the first day.
Another reason you start Fit Apprentice in the evening because that is sadly the one meal that Americans actually eat (sometimes all night long).
You might miss breakfast, and even lunch, but you will most likely never give up dinner. The problem is that when dinner is your only meal of the day, it can go on for hours, like Thanksgiving.
When you eat a Thanksgiving-style meal every evening, it is no wonder that over time, your body cannot cope with the volume of food (and lack of food during the day, when you need fuel the most.)
New habits for dinner
There are just a few adjustments:
- You must finish your meal by 7 best or 8 pm at the latest.
- Make sure to have some raw vegetable salad with your meal.
- You don’t need much, a simple salad of cucumber, tomato, radish, or pepper will do.
- You need to have at least one vegetable like a side of broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, home-cooked, oven-roasted or sauteed in olive oil preferred.
- If you don't have time to cook, get the simplest prepared vegetables possible.
- Chinese restaurants will usually prepare steamed or in the wok with minimum oil.
Step 5. Learn how to cook
The truth is that you need to learn how to prepare a meal for yourself with real food as soon as possible. At most, this will take you 15 – 25 minutes, and it is worth its weight in gold. Especially if you want to achieve your ideal weight in the most comfortable way possible.
(by the way, If you are a man or woman that knows nothing about cooking, this is valuable information, because one day you will thoroughly impress your mom, dad, family or friends.)
Here is how to whip up a simple evening meal:
- sweet potato (preferred)
- white potato
- kasha (buckwheat)
- red lentil pasta
- Ezekiel bread or muffin
Vegetable – one or two of the following:
- Red pepper
- Bok choy
- chicken, or
- Olive oil
Step 6. Dinner Ideas / Suggestions
- Rice, spinach and mushrooms, and black beans
- Quinoa, spinach and mushrooms and red lentil soup
- Sweet potato, asparagus, and salmon
- Broccoli and potato with chicken breast
- Quinoa, bok choy and tofu
Easy dinner recipes that even I can make
I am no chef and never was. But, learning how to make some simple meals is a large part of body transformation. Your goal is to simplify and create a number of meals that you enjoy and want to have again and again.
So, you need to learn how to cook some basic meals or give it to your chef or restaurant to prepare. Here are the simplest ways I know today how to prepare the above foods:
- Use a non-stick pot that holds at least 2 cups of water.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil
- Add one cup of quinoa. I like Pereg's Quinoa because it contains exactly one cup.
- Turn flame on medium to high and toast the quinoa for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Stir frequently with a wooden spoon to prevent burning
- Add two cups of water and turn flame on high
- Bring the quinoa to a boil
- Put flame to low and cover
- Set timer for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, leave quinoa covered on the stovetop and voila, perfect quinoa every time
- Use a rice cooker
- Put a cup of rice in the cooker
- Add two cups of water
- Turn the rice cooker on
- Rice cooker will turn off automatically, perfect rice every time
Buckwheat Groats aka Kasha
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a 4-quart pot
- add a tablespoon of olive oil
- add 1 cup of buckwheat groats aka kasha
- stir well
- lower flame to simmer for twenty minutes
- turn off the flame and let sit for another 20 minutes
- voila, great kasha
Roasted Sweet Potato
- Heat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash sweet potato and wrap in aluminum foil or place on a baking pan or dish
- Leave in oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until you can easily pierce the sweet potato with a fork
Please come back for these additional easy recipes which will be in the next release of The Fit Apprentice:
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Aloo Jeera – Potatoes with cumin and garlic
- Sauteed Broccoli and Potato
- Aloo Gobi
- Aloo Broccoli
- Spinach and Garlic
- Spinach and mushroom
- Spinach and watercress
- Black beans
- Tofu with onions and garlic
- Tofu with onion, garlic, black beans
- Tofu with onion, garlic, and spinach
- Tofu with onion, garlic, black beans, and spinach
- Masoor Dal – red lentil soup with cumin
How to fire up your weight loss
To really fire up your weight loss, minimize or eliminate the grain portion of your meal and just have a sweet potato, or even no potato.
Last, but not least, do not stuff yourself. That is most important because if you stuff yourself, no matter how ‘healthy’ the food is, your body will not like it.
Once you finish your meal, that’s it for tonight. You do not need to eat all evening. It is night time and you will soon go to sleep which is the easiest way in the world to lose weight, overnight, while you are sleeping!
The reason most people never reset their weight overnight is that they eat too much in the evening.
And for anyone that binges at night, the most likely culprit is not eating enough during the day, but we will get to that for the day part of the plan.
While fasting is not necessary or even recommended during the day, fasting is necessary to give your body a break overnight before breakfast. For this reason, breakfast has its name, which means to break the fast of the previous night.
If you eat all night till 10, 11 or midnight, that is not much of a fast. You need to let your body rest. If you do, you will be richly rewarded with a body transformation. Because your body is always trying to keep you healthy. But you need to let your body do its job, which is beyond our knowledge.
If you eat all night and your body is digesting food all night, there is not much time left over for your body to let go of fat, right?
But, if you give your body a 12-hour rest, now you are talking. Your body is the magician that will wave the wand and give you a body transformation. You just need to get out of the way. Stop eating at night after 8 pm is the first step.
(Of course, use your common sense, if you must go to an event or business dinner and you know the meal is going to be after 8 pm, have a small meal around 5ish and at dinner, have some vegetables and meat and you are done.
You don't have to become a social pariah, or make a scene, just get a portion of vegetables and some protein and you are done.
Yes, you can even have ONE portion of a dessert, just like the rest of your table and ONE glass of wine, if you want to. One portion, if you can stick to it will not make a big difference. But, for best results, it is best not to do this more than once a week, that’s it.
Give your body a break after 8 pm and let it rest so it can digest, assimilate and rebuild your body.
Get to Sleep by 10 pm or 8 hours before you wake up
Step 7. Sleep, the easiest way to lose weight
I suggest you go to sleep 8 hours before you need to wake up. So, if you have to be up at 6 am, then get to sleep by 10 pm. Yes, sleep is important and critical to your success. You do not only want to lose weight, but you also want to look and feel better.
Better sleep is a fundamental way to feel better and look better.
On this first evening, assuming you finished your dinner by 8 pm, get on a scale before you go to sleep and take your weight.
Whatever the weight is, do not despair. Even if you are 100 pounds overweight, it will disappear, I promise, as long as you let your body do its own magic.
Yes, you can sleep and lose weight. How great is that?
Step 8. Morning Routine
When you wake up in the morning, make sure to start your day with water. A squeeze of lemon will help refresh you. 16 ounces of water is a good number to shoot for at the beginning of the day to rehydrate yourself after your long rest.
For the rest of the day, shoot for at least 2 quarts or 2 liters of water (which is just a few more ounces). This is the recommended amount to keep your kidneys filtering and detoxifying your body.
If you got a good night's sleep, you will feel refreshed, and the meal you had last evening should be well digested and assimilated. The addition of real vegetables and drinking enough water throughout the day will make a huge difference to your ease of digestion.
If you got through the evening as suggested, you made it through your first ‘fast’ to give your body the break to start releasing fat. Give yourself a pat on the back, you are on the way to freedom from obesity and looking and feeling better than ever.
Once you reach your ideal weight, you will still see the same. Over the course of the evening, you can drop one to two pounds.
Morning Walk and/or Weight Training
To reach your ideal weight, you do not need to lift weights. But, you do need to move, and the minimum recommended amount of time to move is 30 minutes a day. If you have the time, it is wise to get in your ‘exercise’ of the day in the morning. You can walk a longer distance to get on a train or bus, or get off sooner and walk to work.
If you cannot walk 30 minutes in the morning, take your walk at lunch, get out of the office or your house and move. And if you have no time at all during the day, you can still take a walk in the evening.
Your walk does not to be too brisk, just a moderate pace for 30 minutes. Walking will wake up your muscles that have been dormant for many years. Inactivity is considered as dangerous to your health as smoking.
By walking 30 minutes a day, all you need for your exercise plan is a pair of sneakers or walking shoes, and you will activate your muscles and even reverse insulin resistance.
Get in your morning, afternoon or evening walk
Best selling walking shoes for men and women:
Step 9. Reversing insulin resistance
Inactive muscles become resistant to blood sugar. By activating the largest muscles of your body, your legs, you can reverse insulin resistance and avoid the scourge of type 2 diabetes.
You will look and feel better with a simple plan of walking thirty minutes every day.
Now it is time to get some fuel for the daytime when you will be most active and need the most energy.
When you have your breakfast will be up to you. You can do so right after your walk, at your desk, a bit later in the day. Some people do not want to eat in the morning, so don’t.
Step 10. Why you need to eat during the day
Many people eat very little during the day and are still shocked that they are overweight or obese.
You might have said it yourself “I hardly eat anything all day and I did not lose a pound!”. You might think that you can starve yourself and lose weight, but that is not a good plan, because your body will always force you to give it fuel.
But you need to have fuel for the day, otherwise, your body will start looking elsewhere for energy, like your muscle tissue, and you never want to lose muscle tissue, which is your second best friend to food.
Step 11. Establish a set meal pattern, for example:
- 8 am – breakfast
- 12 pm – lunch
- 3 pm – snack
- 7 pm – dinner
- Stop eating after 7 or 8 pm. You do not need more food for your sleep in the evening.
Step 12. Breakfast Ideas
Eat real food and as little manufactured or processed food as possible
At breakfast for example:
- A cup of old fashioned oatmeal ( easy to prepare), some berries or banana.
- You can add a hard-boiled egg.
- Or a banana, blueberries, grapes, walnuts ( a tablespoon or 2) and a plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (try to use a brand with low grams of sugar).
- Or a slice whole-wheat toast, a tablespoon of natural chunky peanut butter, some slices of banana or strawberries on top.
- Ezekiel muffin toasted with a tablespoon of almond butter, red pepper, and grapes
Between breakfast and lunch, there is no reason to snack. Plan your lunchtime three hours or so after breakfast. If you had breakfast at 9 am, have lunch at midday, but no later than 2 pm.
Or breakfast a 10 am, have lunch at 1 pm, or 11 am breakfast, have lunch 2 or 3 pm.
- Whole wheat pita, hummus, vegetables.
- Whole-wheat pita, vegetables like cucumber, tomato, pickle and a small can of tuna with tbsp of avocado oil mayo.
- Vegetable soup with a cup of whole-grain or bean-based (non-gluten) pasta.
- Quinoa, lentil, and salad
- 1/2 cup of brown rice, a serving of chicken/fish/meat, a vegetable….a serving is about 4 oz or the size of a deck of cards.
- Leftover chulent (bean stew) and a vegetable
- tuna fish sandwich with veggies on rye bread
- Ezekiel muffin or bread with avocado and tofu
- Whole wheat or Ezekiel chicken wrap
Dinner as mentioned above:
- Cauliflower, bok choy, and salmon
- Spinach and watercress, potato and mushroom, and chicken or tofu
- Broccoli, potato, lentil soup
- Asparagus and shitake mushroom with tilapia or any other protein like beans, tofu, chicken or meat
- Sweet potato and vegetable and salmon (4 oz)
or keep it even simpler:
- Any vegetable, including raw vegetables and a potato/sweet potato/whole wheat pasta
- Sometimes there is no time to cook.
- It is easy to boil a sweet potato and have some vegetables and chickpeas.
Food is your great friend, not your enemy
Between every meal, you want to give your body time to digest and assimilate the previous meal, so you can get every last drop of precious fuel, vitamins, and minerals that your body needs to keep you running in tip-top shape.
Eat when you are hungry, but most importantly, do not starve your body. It is not necessary to starve or suffer to shed the excess pounds you are carrying.
Have a good meal and then go back to your life. Food is your best friend that gives your body the energy to help you do what you need to do every day.
And by the way, your body is doing the magic to transform your body from fat to fit, make sure that you give it the quality food, exercise and sleep that it needs to function.
Step 13. Regular Meal Times
Just like a pet needs to know when it is being fed, so does your body. This helps your body know that it is not in famine and that you will feed your body soon. Once you get into the rhythm, your body will be expecting food at regular times, so don’t let it down, just like you won't let your dog down, you should at least do the same for your body.
Regular mealtimes will let your body know that it is now safe to keep releasing fat and that it no longer needs to hoard the excess calories as fat.
And your body will lean out as a result.
Step 14. Simple Snacks
If you are going to snack, the most likely time you need to is between lunch and dinner, which can span up to five or six hours.
Snack Ideas and Recipes
Snacks are simple, such as:
- an apple with almond butter or walnuts
- raisins and roasted peanuts
- a banana
- an ounce of raw almonds (about 24 almonds)
- a plain yogurt (if you did not already have one)
- a hard-boiled egg (if you did not already have one)
- a baked potato
Coming attractions in the next version of The Fit Apprentice:
Step 15. Eating out and special occasions
- How to deal with special occasions
- How to deal with a binge
Step 16. Training
- Walking – you need to start walking every day. At least 30 minutes.
Step 17. Pushups
- Pushups – you might not be able to do even one pushup. Neither could I. But, when you start leaning out, you will be able to start with one, assuming you have medical clearance. To be sure that you are ready to exercise, make sure you consult with your physician and answer the PAR-Q to Participate in Fit Apprentice. The same goes for all other resistance training which follows.
Step 18. Deadlifts
If there is one exercise that I believe saved and changed my life, it is the deadlift. That is why the majority of my content to date is about deadlifting. I have written many posts as to why the deadlift is so great, no matter what your age. Here are a few to check out:
- Why is the deadlift so good? See all of the major muscle groups worked by the ‘simple' deadlift
- 37 remarkable benefits of deadlifts to reclaim your fitness
- How deadlifts change your body in 27 powerful ways
- The Powerlifting Grandma Shirley Webb Still Deadlifting at Age 81 – you need to read this one if you think you are too old to start deadlifting.
- How to deadlift like a boss in 5 simple steps
In the meantime, start with steps 1 through 14. These steps alone of this fitness plan are enough to get you on the right path to lean out and tone your body so you can regain your health and fitness with The Fit Apprentice.
Pin to share The Fit Apprentice Fitness Plan: