Stair Climber Muscles Used – IntroductionWhat Muscles Does the Stair Climber Work? Find out how useful a stair climber is to improve your mental and physical fitness. From a 30,000 foot view, the answer is that a stair stepper is an incredible fitness tool to tone and condition your body. A stair climber machine targets the following muscle groups: This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
The largest muscles in your lower bodyThe most important stair climbing muscles worked include:
#1. Gluteus MaximusClimbing stairs with a stair climber or climbing a flight of stairs will exercise the most massive muscles of your body, the gluteal muscles. The gluteus maximus is the largest muscle in your body, and the gluteal muscle group, also known as your buttocks. The gluteal muscle group consists of:
- the gluteus maximus, and the
- gluteus medius, and finally,
- the gluteus minimus
Modern Life Ignores the Posterior ChainMany people fail to work the posterior chain muscles because you cannot see them in the mirror. Instead, you might spend a lot more time sitting on this incredibly important muscle than training it! A stair climber machine can make training your glutes and leg muscles a lot easier than driving to find a stadium or apartment building to climb real stairs. And even if you live in an apartment building, you might not want to climb up the stairs in a deserted staircase. Using the stairclimber at the gym or having one at home is much more convenient and comfortable.
Neglecting these powerful muscles results in training only half your body much of the time, precisely the front half with exercises like:
Sunny Health & Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands, Black
- TRACK YOUR FITNESS: LCD monitor measures the steps time total and...
- TOTAL BODY: Equipped with removable training bands this high-quality...
- HYDRAULIC DRIVE SYSTEM: Built with a hydraulic drive system this...
- dumbbell bicep curls
- dumbbell shoulder presses which work the front and medial deltoids
- sitting leg raise which isolates your quads
- sit-ups for your abdominals
- pushups or bench press for your chest, the pectoralis major and minor muscles
How to Use a Stair Master to Burn 10000 Calories
#2. HamstringsOpposite your quadriceps on the back of your thighs are your hamstrings, another great link of your posterior chain. Your hamstring muscle group includes the:
- biceps femoris
- semimembranosus and
#3. QuadricepsOn the front of your thighs are your quadriceps, also referred to as quads. Your quadriceps are a four-headed muscle group made up of:
- rectus femoris,
- The vastus intermedius, and the
- vastus lateralis and
- last, the vastus medialis
#4. Hip FlexorsThe hip flexor muscles include:
- the iliacus, and psoas major muscles which are known as the iliopsoas
- the rectus femoris, which is part of your quadriceps as mentioned above
#5. CalvesThe stair climber works out your calves as well. As a result, a stair climber will give you a great lower body workout. Your calf muscles are made up of two muscles:
- gastrocnemius (lateral and medial) that is larger and on top of
- the soleus, a smaller muscle which is under the gastrocnemius
#6. Abdominal musclesThe abs are involved with supporting and stabilizing your spine as you work out on a stairclimber. Your ab muscles include:
- rectus abdominis in the front of your body
- internal and external and obliques on the sides of your body
- transversus abdominis, which is underneath them
Stair Climber BenefitsWhen you look closer at the benefits of stair climbing, you find that it will help you: #1. Lower your heart rate through consistent use #2. Improve your cardiovascular health and endurance #3. burn calories #4. lose weight #5. minimize stress on your knee joint as compared to running #6. get a full lower body and great cardio workout in only 30 minutes without using a personal trainer #7. increase your bone density #8. focus on lower body strength #9. tone your body, especially your legs and rear #10. accessible to everyone who can climb stairs! Be sure to fill out a Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) to ensure that cardiovascular exercise is a safe activity for you. Check with your doctor if you are not clear on how to interpret your results.
Best Cardio Machine for Fat Loss
What Muscles Do Stairs Work – Final ThoughtsBody composition and cardiovascular fitness are the first two primary components of fitness. The five main components of fitness are:
- Cardiovascular Endurance
- Body Composition
- Muscular Strength
- Muscular Endurance
What’s NextIf you do need to lose weight, be sure to use this great way to lose 20 pounds in 3 months. You can repeat that diet +minimal training plan to drop 20 pounds as often as you need to lose and then maintain your ideal weight. For full-body strength, add resistance exercises like:
- pushups for your arms and chest,
- deadlifts to target all the major muscle groups of your body, and
- squats for mobility and power.
- 7 Greatest Deadlift Muscles Worked That Can Change Your Life
- Neutral Grip Pull-Ups; Most Important Muscles Worked and Benefits
- What Muscles Does a Hex Bar Deadlift Work?
- 7 Powerful Squats Muscles Worked Will Improve Your Fitness, Fast
- What Muscles Do Push-Ups Work?
- Overhead Squat Assessment Muscles Mnemonic for the NASM CPT Exam
- 7 Best Kettlebell Deadlift Variations You Can Do at Home
- Selye’s General Adaptation Syndrome; Secrets of Transformation
- 27 Sensational Ways How Deadlifts Change Your Body
- 1 Great Beginner Deadlift Workout Routine for Powerlifting and Fitness
- Walking for Weight Loss – Advantages, Benefits + How-To
- Best Full Body Fat Burning Workout At Home With Dumbbells
- Squats vs. Deadlifts – Which Is Better For You?
- 15 Safe Deadlift Alternatives that Will Protect a Bad Back