Why learn how to lose 10 pounds in a month? Why not try for 20 or 30 pounds? The answer is that 20 pounds or 30 pounds in a month is not sustainable. You do not need to suffer to lose weight.
Nevertheless, there are more people who ask how to lose 20 and even 30 pounds in a month.
Therefore, I recommend focusing on how to lose ten pounds in a month because that is easier, more reasonable and kinder to your body.
Realistic Weight Loss Goals
Most key guidelines do say that 1 to 2 pounds a week is the best goal. This is because a weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week is sustainable.
A weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week together with a minimum of walking 30 minutes a day and some moderate strength workouts will result in more fat loss from your visceral belly fat as opposed to muscle.
When you try to lose 30 pounds in 30 days, the concern is that you will restrict too many calories per day.
This leads to more muscle loss which is exactly what you do not want. You do not want to lose muscle mass because muscles burns more calories. And less muscle mass means a lower metabolism and more weight gain.
This is the reason for the simplest guide on how to lose 10 pounds in a month.
The Great Benefits of Losing Ten Pounds
Look at some of the benefits of healthy and sustainable weight loss as noted by the National Institute of Health (my comments are in italics):
If you take off ten pounds, here are some of the key benefits of your new weight loss:
- Weight loss lowers elevated blood pressure in overweight and obese persons with high blood pressure
- Lower weight reduces elevated levels of total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and triglycerides, and raises low levels of HDL-cholesterol, in overweight and obese persons with dyslipidemia.
- Weight loss lowers elevated blood glucose levels in overweight and obese persons with type 2 diabetes.
- The initial goal of weight loss should be to reduce body weight by about 10 percent from baseline. With success, and if warranted, further weight loss can be attempted.
- Weight loss should be about 1 to 2 pounds per week for a period of 6 months, with the subsequent strategy based on the amount of weight lost.
“This is the reason that Hashi Mashi Diet + Training is focuses on how to lose 10 lbs in a month maximum. You will discover that you do not need calorie counting or intermittent fasting or a food journal. All you have to do is:
- Eat the right foods, the least processed foods and start moving more, walking and/or push ups and some other strength training exercises. I recommend the classic powerlifting exercises: squats, deadlifts, bench press and their assistance exercises.
- If you have more than 50 pounds to lose, just keep following the program for how to lose 10 pounds a month and in six months you will be down a good 60 pounds.
When I first developed Hashi Mashi Diet + Training, I lost 75 pounds and 18″ off my waist in six months without feeling like I was suffering.
Having real food daily is going to make you feel the best you have felt in many years and the modest amount of exercise is going to help you feel and look fitter than you have been for many years.
Do not be surprised if your friends and family do not recognize you.”
- Physical activity should be part of a comprehensive weight control program because it (1) modestly contributes to weight loss in overweight and obese adults, (2) may decrease abdominal fat, (3) increases cardiorespiratory fitness, and (4) may help with maintenance of weight loss.
“This is why I suggest a minimum of walking for 30 minutes to 60 minutes a day, so you can get moving for your aerobic base, add some stretching for flexibility and strength training which can be just pushups and squats in your home if you do not have or do not want a gym membership.”
- Physical activity should be an integral part of weight-loss therapy and weight maintenance. Initially, moderate levels of physical activity for 30 to 45 minutes, 3 to 5 days a week, should be encouraged. All adults should set a long-term goal to accumulate at least 30 minutes or more of moderate-intensity physical activity on most, and preferably all, days of the week.
“I recommend at least 30 minutes of walking 5 to 6 times a week and then alternating between lower body and upper body strength training, so if you do squats and deadlifts on monday, wednesday and friday, then you should do upper body on tuesday and thursday, saturday or sunday.
Another strategy is to work on one body part per day, like chest on day 1, back on day 2, shoulders on day 3, legs on day 4 and arms on day 5. Take off at least one to two days a week from both the diet and exercise plan so you can take a break and refresh. Get a 12 week beginner deadlift program here. “
- The combination of a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity is recommended, because it produces weight loss that also may result in decreases in abdominal fat and increases in cardiorespiratory fitness.
“I do not think that a reduced calorie diet is necessary, I think that a reduced processed food eating plan is what is necessary. Forget the calories, focus on eating real good healthy food daily and you will see the results. I do not give any recommendations for tracking calories as I think that is just not practical.”
- Behavior therapy is a useful adjunct when incorporated into treatment for weight loss and weight maintenance.
“How to lose 10 pounds in a month is going to teach you many of the behavioral changes that you need to make in order to be successful.”
- After successful weight loss, the likelihood of weight-loss maintenance is enhanced by a program consisting of dietary therapy, physical activity, and behavior therapy, which should be continued indefinitely. Drug therapy also can be used. However, drug safety and efficacy beyond 1 year of total treatment have not been established.
“I do not promote drug therapy. The best drugs are vegetables, fruits, some whole grains like quinoa, kasha and starches like sweet potato and butternut squash, along with lean protein and exercising your body more frequently. I think that every diet plan can be boiled down to five words, eat real food and exercise.
So, the truth is that applies to what I am writing about here in how to lose ten lbs in a month, you will see that everything that I write can be summed up in those five words Eat Real Food and Exercise.”
- A weight maintenance program should be a priority after the initial 6 months of weight-loss therapy.
How to Lose Ten Pounds in a Month
Sample Menu Plan
- Drink a glass of water after waking up
- Take a 30 to 60 minute walk if possible in the morning
- Walk to work or park further from your office.
- You do not need to do high intensity interval training to lose weight.
- All you need to do is walk and eat real food.
- If you think walking for weight loss is for the birds, read Walking with Peety.
- If you enjoy a different type of cardiovascular activity like swimming, or the elliptical, go for it.
Simple Breakfast to Lose Weight (And Get Fit)
I suggest to have the same breakfasts and lunches every day that you know you enjoy and you can be a bit more adventurous for dinner.
My goto breakfast for this month is:
Either, A hearty bowl of oatmeal
- 1/2 cup dry oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- handful walnuts
- handful raising
- 1/2 a banana
- some strawberries or blueberries
Classic Hashi Mashi Breakfast
- Natural hummus or substitute a baked white or sweet potato
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- sauteed red pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic and tomato
- half an avocado
First Snack of the Day
Have a smoothie, I am using either Isagenix, a whey protein or vega one which is a plant based protein. A smoothie is effective for breaking snack and sugar cravings for junk food. Remember, you never want to go hungry.
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 packet of Isagenix for the shake below
- 5 ice cubes
- tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1/2 a banana, yes, I like both banana and peanut butter, even together as a snack.
- some blueberries
- blend and voila –
Other Snack Options
But, you do not have to have a smoothie.
You can also have a snack with a fruit like berries and a plain yogurt or berries and cottage cheese or berries and some nuts (that means no more than a handful, that is enough).
You get the idea, which is to have some fuel, real food fuel, and not to go starving all day, which is the American way, to eat little during the day and eat a bit too much in the evening.
If you have 3 to 4 meals by the time you get to dinner, you are not going to be famished, plus you will have already given your body the nutrition that it craves.
Make it simple, for example:
- Baked potato, salad and some sliced turkey with even one raw vegetable, like a cucumber
- Salad, turkey, avocado and rice
- A salmon avocado sushi roll
- Black bean soup, eggplant a little salmon
A Relaxing Dinner
Listen, if you get to dinner time with two meals and at least one snack under your belt, guess what? You are not going to pig out in the evening. You are not going to walk in the door of your home and eat everything not moving. Hunger will no longer kill you all day.
Instead, you now realize that food is your friend. Your body needs food, and you have been kindly feeding your body as opposed to the old days, when you starved your body thinking that will help you lose weight. Yea, right. That's why few people have successfully lost weight for the last 50 years!
Have a fresh salad for dinner, simple to make, cut up a cucumber, a pickle, a couple of tablespoons of olives, an onion slice, a whole or half a tomato.
If you want to get fancy, you can sprinkle some cilantro on top and a squeeze of lemon.
Dinner is also a good time for a cooked vegetable like cauliflower, broccoli, okra or eggplant.
Simplest way to cook is to put a tablespoon of olive oil in your stove top pot, add onion and garlic as well as the spices that you like.
Some good ones are a half teaspoon of cumin and coriander, you can even put in a pinch of tumeric and salt.
Add the vegetable that you want to cook, be it broccoli, potato, eggplant or okra.
Cover and let cook for a good 20 to 30 min on a low flame.
You can also have either rice or kasha , a half cup to a cup cooked is enough for either.
They are prepared the same way.
Take a 1/2 cup of dry kasha or rice, put into a cup and a bit more of boiling water, cover and let simmer for approximately 30 minutes, add some salt and a little olive oil and voila, you are the Chef!
Protein selections for dinner can be:
- Veggie Burger
- Keep it simple.
- If you are still hungry after dinner, have a little wine or a couple of strawberries.
- Best to finish eating about three hours before going to sleep.
- 7pm is a good time to finish dinner and go to sleep by 10pm.
- Eat more to lose more, just don't eat till you are too full.
- I know that is not so simple in our supersized culture.
- But it is incredibly effective.
- The worst way to lose weight is to think that you are going to starve it off by missing meals.
- Stop that.
- Stop missing meals, stop skipping breakfast, why are you suffering yourself?
- Stop making yourself miserable.
- You can eat more food, be reasonable, have healthy foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner with some snacks.
- Do NOT let yourself get hungry.
- Notice there is no bread in this sample menu for how to lose 10 pounds in a month.
- One day a week, you can take off the day and not be as strict, so if you want to have bread on that one day, go for it.
- Just do not pig out.
Know Your BMI – Establish a Baseline
You should find out your BMI as soon as possible to know where you stand. It is really important to be clear about your height because without an accurate height and weight reading, your BMI can be way off. So, for those of us guys who think that we are 6'4″ because we are wearing 2″ heels, the BMI will not be accurate. Just be honest with your actual height and weight and that will give you the best indication of where you are on the BMI scale.
Losing just 10 pounds in a month can mean the difference between a normal weight and overweight which as we see increases risk of major disease in too many categories. If you are thirty or fifty pounds overweight, do not sweat it.
If you follow Hashi Mashi Diet + Training, even if you only drop 10 pounds in a month, you will be on your way to much better health in only six months. You can do it.
To reach a normal BMI, focus more on eating healthy real foods without counting your daily number of calories. I have not found counting calories to be of great value, better results I find from the least processed food and not overdoing it at any one meal. You should never feel hungry, make sure you eat and drink your water.
You do not need to eat fewer calories, you need to stop eating processed junk foods. Eat real food and skip the food that you know was manufactured in a factory. Just ask yourself next time you are in a store and looking at your favorite ‘snack' – “Is there a snicker bar or oreo tree where I can go pick these yum yums for myself? Hmm, nope, but there is an apple and almond tree, so an apple and almonds it will be.”
What is better than counting your daily calories? Measuring your weight daily on a body composition scale is much more valuable than counting calories. In fact, you will never have to count calories to know how your choices of food are really affecting you.
A body composition scale is superior to a regular scale because a smart scale is going to tell you your body fat percentage, your BMI and wire all that data to your phone, so you have an easy record. Once you have a smart body composition scale, you will know your baseline and the journey will begin.
How often should you weigh yourself? I suggest once a day unless there are other reasons not to. In any case, always consult with your primary care physician before beginning any diet and exercise plan.
In addition, as soon as your weight drops enough that you feel comfortable enough to move, start moving. And start your plan to build muscle, because both muscle and real food are your best friends to dramatically transform your body from fat to fit. To that end, a beginner deadlift program is a great place to start.