Deadlifting 170 pounds seemed out of reach for me not too long ago.
I want to get stronger as time goes on, and deadlifts are a reasonable ticket to do my best to make that happen.
First, as usual, I believe that a squat workout before deadlifts is a great way to warm up for your deadlift workout. I know that some people out there encourage doing a lower and upper body workout on the same day.
Others recommend splitting your upper body and lower body workouts.
At this point, I think that the workout that you can do consistently and that feels beneficial to you is your best workout.
Practical Workout Split
When I have attempted to do lower and upper body workouts on the same day, I have felt too drained and too much time spent in the gym. Again, this is up to you, the individual, but I would not be surprised if splitting the lower and upper body workout is more effective for men over 50 wanting to get fit.
The two reasons are
- 1) men over 50 might not have the strength and energy to do a full-body workout in one day physically, and
- 2) men over 50 might not have the time as well to spend in the gym or their garage/basement.
The best workout is going to be the one that you stick to, so I think it is wise to start small and keep building from there.
To date, I have found that splitting up the upper and lower body workout has been the most effective because 170 lb deadlift benefits your physique no matter what your age – Next Level up to Shoot for – Deadlift of 175lbs
Deadlift and Squat Workout Same Day Tips
1. I can do a lower body workout of deadlifts and squats within one hour. I do eight sets of squats before the actual squat work sets.
- two sets of 5 squats are without any weights,
- then two sets of 5 squats are with 45 pounds,
- 1 set of 4 squats with 65 pounds,
- one set of 3 squats with 95lbs,
- and one set of 2 with 115lbs and
- last, one set of 1 with 125lbs.
Yesterday was my personal record best for squats.
After the above warm-up, I did two sets of 5 squats using 130 lbs, and then after another 5-minute rest, did 1 set of 4 squats.
My legs were starting to feel like rubber no matter how much I concentrated on the lifting phase of the squat with the power of the posterior chain, the rear end.
In case you are wondering what the posterior chain is in detail, here is a quote from Wikipedia:
The posterior chain is a group of muscles consisting predominantly of tendons and ligaments on the posterior of the body. Examples of these muscles include the biceps femoris, gluteus maximus, erector spinae muscle group, trapezius, and posterior deltoids.
Deadlift and Squat Workout – Final Thoughts
Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised that I had almost made it to 3 sets of 5 squats using 130 pounds. I am hoping to get to 135 pounds for squats by the end of next week.
That would be a great birthday present for age 59.
Who would have thought that a 55-year-old man who was tipping the scales at 275 lbs and could not bend down to tie his shoes could be doing squats with those two 45 lb plates and almost down to 190 pounds?
If you are a man over 50 or know a man over 50 that has given up on getting into shape or getting back into shape, do not give up.
You can still get fit, even over 50 and probably even over 60.
It boils down to vegetables and other best quality foods, you know what they are, real foods.
Back to the deadlift workout of yesterday, after finishing squats, I set up for the deadlift with 170 pounds and did 1 set of 5 deadlifts.
The deadlifts felt good, so I am going to go for 175 pounds tomorrow after a squat workout that I hope will result in at least three sets of 5 squats if not four sets of 5 squats.
Are you a man, or do you know a man or woman over 50 who wants to get fit, lose weight, get healthier?
Please share your comments, questions, or knowledge about splitting the upper body and lower body workouts, deadlifting, squats, getting fit.
You need effective deadlift and squat workout routines. Here are three of the best:
- One Great Beginner Deadlift Workout Routine for Powerlifting and Fitness
- One Great Beginner Squat Workout Routine
- 3×5 Workout Plan: The Only Strength Training Program You Will Ever Need
Top 10 Related Posts
- 15 Big Bulgarian Split Squat Benefits Unlock Your Fitness
- A Simple HIIT Workout Will Torch Fat and Transform your Body
- 37 Remarkable Benefits of Deadlifts to Unleash Your Fitness Fast
- Calculate Calories Burned Doing Squats in 3 Easy Steps
- 15 Most Important Proper Deadlift Form Tips You Need to Know
- Proper Way to Do Squats – 26 Secrets for the Perfect Squats
- Squat and Deadlift Workout on the Same Day or Not?
- 7 Powerful Squats Muscles Worked Will Improve Your Life
- Phraks Greyskull LP Variant vs. Starting Strength vs. GSLP
- 5 Deadlift Workout Rules for Beginners to Lose Weight & Get Fit